Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TOS - Any insight?

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just read the post about JT having VTOS. I have seen people mention this but never paid attention. I found a little info on this and I am wondering if I should ask my doctor about this.

I was in a car accident 6 months ago. Always had neck/shoulder pain on one side. MRI shows herniation at c7/t1 but so far the pain doesnt match the herniation. From the beginning I told the docs and PT that I feel like my collar bone is broken. PT said it can't be because the pain would be excrutiating. I also noticed that I have alot of swelling around my collar bone. I have some of the herniation symptoms like occasional tingling, shocks, numbness but they come and go.

After reading the little bit that I could find I am wondering if the pain really is coming from the collar bone.

Here's what I am wondering.
Has anyone else had these symptoms and been diagnosed TOS?
Where can I find out more about this?
What type of doctor can diagnosis this best?

• you need them to do a sonogram on your blood vessels in your arms and they can tell if the blood is flowing also....ask for an mri of your whole brachial plexus...you can't friggin listen to any doctors....you have to take control and tell them what you think and who you want and need to see:)
  • Jessie you don't know how excited you made me today. I remember telling one PT that it felt like I had a broken collar bone. He said he had broken his collar bone several times playing hockey and the pain was unbearable so it couldn't be that.

Which doc diagnosed you? I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon and a neurologist. Who would be better to ask about this?

Just the idea that this might be the problem has made me so excited.
  • But a vascular tos guy saw me...check the list go to atosa.com and they have a list of providers what state do you live in....
  • Not sure what to think. SPoke to neuro today and he said to go to my ortho. Luckily he had a surgery cancel so I got in today. He moved my arm around and felt for pulse in diff positions. He re-read the MRI results and said the radiologist says there is a herniation pressing on nerve root so go to a neurosurgeon. He said both could have similar symptoms so why look for something new when the MRI clearly shows damage.

I kind of agree but then I wonder why the spine surgeon and neurologist didn't think much of the same MRI. I wish I understood more about how they read the MRI's. I see alot about signal strengths and wonder how the films they send with the report can make a doctor disagree with what the radiologist sees.

Well next week I get to meet another doctor - woohoo!!