Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

laughnsmilellaughnsmile Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I know there is another forum I may post my question on, but I wanted to on this forum for opinions from all of you
who have had surgery.

What mattress do you like? Please give name brand and whether it has pillow covering, etc.

Does height of mattress matter? Can you sit on mattress with feet on floor?

With my current pain, I am not able to sleep on my 1 1/2 year old, muched loved, pillowtop mattress that i can't sit on with feet on floor. So, I need to shop for new mattress.

Thanks for recommendations. Rose

• hello- I have a pillow top- it is a couple years old, but the important thing for me - is that the bed is almost 38 inches, to the top of the floor. I am off the floor by 3 feet. I roll on my side and gently roll up - with my legs slid off the bed. This means that I don't have to strain myself when I get up.

Today - if I had to do it over, all that I would do is replace my bedrails with somethhing that would jack my bed up really high, for me.

I have to have a parlour stool for the car the jump up as well. When I got it first, the cat almost brained herself when she jumped off the bed.

2X4's and a screw-gun are good things.
  • I've had a Sleep Number bed for over six years and I'll never have anything else. It's a pillowtop and I can't sit on it with my feet touching the floor. Mine is king size, so hubby and I can each have our own sleep number dialed in.

I also have an memory foam pillow specifically for side sleepers and I can't live without that, either.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    a section just dealing with Sleeping, Mattresses, Pillows ,etc

Take a look at:
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I,too had a much loved pillowtop, unfortunately it was traded in after the first night home from surgery. I found that a firm mattress is what feels best. We bought a Restonic 70th Anniversary ET firm. Model ME93266. It is a eurotop with a bit of memory foam. It has proven to be a great help for my back. Also very inexpensive (not typically the way we go with mattresses), but we are both hoping to curl back up in the pillowtop once the back heals.
  • We spend about $2500.00 for the tempurpedic mattress and I can't sleep on it at all! The mattress molds to you and if you tend to toss and turn (as most of us spinys do) you have to practically climb out of your hole and roll to a new position, really wakes you up more than you normally would just rolling over. Hate it!!! I end up on my son's bed, his mattress is very firm and I sleep much better there. I wish we had purchased the sleep number bed. By the way, my husband sleeps very well on our bed, but he had no back problems to speak of.
    Good luck,
  • I've been asking similar questions and just came off a site called 'Sleep', which I've never ever seen before. I was just about to recommend it to you, then saw Ron's post above!

The 'Sleep' site's excellent and answers all the questions I've been bothering different people with, for over 2 months now. Hopefully it'll answer your questions too.

• I love our temperpedic. We actually got it 4 years ago and my back pain reduced. So did my husbands. He was finally able to bend to put socks on and we both stopped being incredibly stiff in the morning.

Oddly, I'm having trouble in it now. It's comfy so don't think I've changed my mind. I love sleeping in it. I have been very uncomfortable in general sleeping the last few weeks (2 months post op). If I have to move, I hurt. I wonder if it's the temperpedic. My entire back and neck stiffen up.

Perhaps I'll try the guest bedroom tonight.
    I usually do recliner if I can't get comfortable in bed.

I'll post tomorrow to let you know my thoughts.
  • Interesting question - I came on the site to ask the same one. We have a really firm mattress that I've loved until about a year ago (I'm 4 years post-op). Last night I slept on a chaise in the LR just to see what would happen and woke up rested, relaxed, and pain free. It's SUPER soft, nothing I'd expect to be comfortable, but it worked. Now I have to determine if it's a fluke, a temporary thing with my back, or if we really do need a new mattress (ours is old so talking DH into a new one may not be so hard).
  • I bought a new firm bed last year, followed by a 3 inch memory foam from Serta, as an investment. As a grad student, it was tough on my budget, but so so worth it. The memory foam was difficult at first for me to get used to sleeping on, but getting it pre-surgery was one of the best decisions I had, especially as I spent the next 8 weeks in bed.

I felt a little more justified in purchasing the memory foam after seeing it on the 'what you should get for post-op period' list here :-) And definitely worth it.
  • Sealy Posturepedic mattress and box spring (very firm) with one of those 3" Novafoam mattress pads on top of it. Generally, pre-surgery, when I've had guests at my house, I let them have the bed and I sleep on the couch. I have been told over and over by the folks who have stayed that it is the most comfortable bed they've ever slept in. I like it a lot.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    I've been sleeping on a Select Comfort mattress for about 15 years now.
    Its the mattress with twin bladders. So that each side can have different firmness levels. I like this type of mattress basically because I can adjust from a real firm mode to real SOFT, depending on how I am doing.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com