Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recommended calcium and vitamin D supplements after surgery?

• I think it might depend on whether your Vit. D levels are low. Several people on the board have commented that they learned their levels were quite low after having spine surgery. I know mine was, but then, I never had Vit. D levels tested previously, to my knowledge.

I would start with what is recommended by the established ratings and ask your surgeon or doctor what he/she recommends.
  • I have no idea what my D levels are and my NS never brought up the question. My diet however before surgery could only be described in two words Big mac. I guess it cant hurt taking over the counter stuff at this time. I was just curious if these supplements would help with the fusion process to any degree.
  • Hey Yankee,

Before you go adding supplements into to your daily regimen you may want to ask your surgeon. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA so the labeling may not be true. For example, I was taking a multi vitamin and on a pre-op blood test my postassium levels came up to high. Turned out the number one ingredient in the vitamin was potassium. So before adding anything in, I would check with your surgeon. A true vitamin D test takes about a week to come back.
  • Hi Yankee!

I think Gwennie has given you good advice there.

Vitamin D was something I used to worked on when I was 'employable'. The inactive circulating form of Vitamin D is present in us from various sources, then when it's exposed to the sun via our skin, the sun changes it into the chemically-active form. That's why the incidence of rickets is higher amongst races who are covered from head to toe for religious reasons. Those of us who don't get out into the sunshine also have low D levels (mine were also low in my last blood test).

Not that it answers your question, but a natural way to boost your Vit D levels is to get some sun and eat fish, eggs and milk along with your Big Mac!

Bye, Val
  • The supplement I bought in the store contains only vitamin D and calcium no other minerals listed. It is in liquid form. I will however contact my NS monday and seek his opinion. again thanks for the info.
  • My Dr. has me taking 600 mgs of Calcium with Vitamin D twice a day. Not sure if that is the norm, but that's what I take. I also take Fosomax once a week (when I remember, lol).