Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Friend is Scaring Me

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:38 AM in Scoliosis
I had a question regarding the treatment of scoliosis with a daily regimen of high dose, high strength oxycodone tablets.

My friend has scoliosis, so he says, and he believes that narcotic pain medicine helps to ease the pain. He wants to get a prescription, to avoid obtaining this medication through otherwise risky and dangerous means.

So, I just wanted to ask someone who might know more about this stuff than I do. I don't have back pain and don't know much about treatment options and which ones are better for certain circumstances. I know opiate pain management is an option, but I would like to know if it is really the best option for my friend. He is very adamant about getting this prescription to oxycodone.

Now, I might not know much, but I know there are many other options to pain management other than using powerful narcotics. The thing is, he's been abusing them for awhile now, so I don't believe he really is trying to get it just for his back pain.

I think he might actually be delusional. Whenever I try to talk to him about it, he gets really defensive and upset. He uses reasons like "Oh, my doctors said that as I grow my condition will get progressively worse". My friend is in his 20's, I'm pretty sure he's done growing. I tell him there are other options to managing his pain, and he vehemently asserts that oxycodone treatment is the only thing that will help. He says if he just had a script he wouldn't abuse it he would take it as instructed by his doctor. I've asked him how he thinks that he can go from abusing several pills a day to taking just a few as need for pain. He hasn't given me a sufficient answer so far. He actually says if he does get a script he has to be on it for the rest of his life, he wants to because "Oh it helps my back pain so much I NEED it".

I'm really just concerned for my friend here. I don't think he's in a good place physically or mentally. He pretty much sleeps all day and accomplishes very little in the hours he's awake due to his abuse of prescription pills. He is a crackhead, seriously. He is always strung out and stressed and constantly in a bad mood. I think if he actually had a prescription it would be the end of him. I can just see him continuing to abuse the medication, and opiate abuse only goes in one direction, a spiral straight downward. I know, I've been there myself.

So please, if you've made it this far, and you are knowledgeable and care, please, please tell me: 1. Given my friends history of opiate abuse, would any doctor in their right mind EVER prescribe him high dose opiates like oxycodone? 2. Am I over reacting? Is what he's saying really true, and that his pain can be best managed with prescription drugs. And 3. What would be some better alternatives that I can recommend to him, if there are any?
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum. we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are very kind to be concerned about your friend. and i think for very good reason.. those prescriptions are not just "given out." there has to be a "verified" medical reason for their use and i don't see any MRI or x-ray with medical proof of need. of course there are other ways to verify need but if your friend is using crack as well, then he needs these pills to come down from that drug with. that is just my opinion from experience.... there is only so much you can do. i would not, if i was you, help you friend in his endeavor.. i doubt if he can find a doctor anyway who will just give him such medication. it is highly controlled by the government... good luck and steer your friend towards NA, not towards his drug seeking behaviour. there are other ways to control pain including water therapy, exercise, injections and on and on....a good pain management doctor can help with this... Jenny
This discussion has been closed.