Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 4 weeks post -op

Sweetrobs2SSweetrobs2 Posts: 48
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All,
I haven;t written in a while because it is still difficult for me to sit at the computer. I see my NS this Tuesday for my 4 week followup. I am doing ok. When I used up all of the oxycotin, I have been using some nerve pain meds and muscle relaxers and oxycodone. I was doing pretty well, then the last 3 days the pain is almost as bad as after the surgery. But, I think I am trying to do too much too soon. I walked my dog 3 times, not for long and took it slowly, but it may have aggravated things a bit. Plus I did some dishes, unfortunately my husband's care and help has declined somewhat - that's another story - and I have to keep in mind 4 weeks after the major work I had done is not a very long time.

All in all, I am still glad I had the surgery and I am looking forward to not wearing this collar all the time and starting PT soon. And to sleeping in my bed!! Still have to use a recliner. Though it may not sound like it, my attitude is positive and I know a year from now, I will look back at all this and realize for the results, it was not so bad.

Thanks for listening.

• I had my 2 level C-5 C-6 fusion 16 days ago and I have to say I have had no pain problems. I did however get out of the house yesterday for the first time I went out to dinner with my wife and did some shopping at wall mart. I found I did start to hurt about 1 hour into the dinner and shopping mostly upper back and shoulder area. Now I did no work lifting loading the car ect. all I did was walk I guess if I did some of this my pain would have been much worse.I Recovered completely by the next day. My wonderful wife does everything around the house takes good care of me she even works 8 hours a day at a job. I know she is very tired each day but she doesn't complain. I know if she was in my position I would do the same for her. I guess sometimes us men take our wife's for granted and that's a shame. I try to thank and help her in what ever way I can each day. I haven't tried to do anything as far as work as of yet I bet it would be very hard to have surgery and have to do so. I hope things get a little easier for you. Good luck and heal fast!
  • Hi Robin

My husband started to wane as far as helping with the chores after about a month.

Are you walking without the doggies? Are you using a soft collar? I would think walking the dogs would be tough. I haven't tried to walk mine yet and I'm 3 months post. I think I could now I just don't want to have another dog chase my little boys and have to deal with that situation.

I'm getting stronger now. I have no limit on lifting which is great. I still have discomfort in my neck but not bad at all. It's mostly stiffness.

It was tough for me to use a computer at a month too.

Hang in it gets better ;)

• Hi,
    I am walking my dog but for only about 15 minutes. As soon as I feel a little tired I go home. We just go down the street about 1/2 a block. But it gets me out and it feels good.

I am just starting to wear a soft collar 1 hour twice a day and so far I don't like it. I start to hurt when wearing it which is probably why the NS has me wearing it infrequently and on a 6 week schedule. He said I can drive, but I am not comfortable especially wearing the hard collar more than the soft. I try to run errands with my husband to get me out of the house a little bit and used to shopping. Yesterday we went to the bank, grocery and drug stores. It was good but it was enough for me. I know the recovery will take a while.

After seeing the films at the NS office the other day my husband and I were surprised at how big the screws are in the back of my neck. I really have a lot of hardware, 2 plates in front and then the rods and screws in back. It is really amazing what they can do these days.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

• I guess I am a little over 3 weeks post opp I went out with my wife to a nice dinner and then to Wall Mart shopping. I started to feel some pain in my upper back around the bottom of my shoulder blades but it wasn't bad. I am in a hard brace and have had to remove it for showers , shaving ect. But I have no problems holding my neck up. I am sure that if I didn't ware the collar for a extended time I might get sore. I do not attempt to turn my head without the collar I am sure that would hurt!. I have to be recovered and out of this collar by next March as I will be starting to drive a semi truck. I cant be on any pain meds at all. I think that this time frame is workable at least I hope!.