Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

On a positive note

firewater1981ffirewater1981 Posts: 84
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
Does anyone have any useful tips on what helps them with their Chronic Pain?

• But, I start the day with my meds....

I have lumbar pillows I use while driving, sitting at my desk, etc.

During the day, I make sure I get up and walk around at least every 20 minutes.

I try not lift anything too heavy (but sometimes I do forget this rule... shame on me!)

In my car, I have a seat warmer in the driver's seat. I use that often. My gosh - I really don't know how I lived without it!

I use the "therma care" patches for my back often.

I try not do activities that I know will cause excruciating pain. But, sometimes I just say "to heck with it". Only where family is concerned. I have not been to any of our local college foot ball games (LSU game day is AWESOME! And I miss it dearly), but I have been to my youngest son's baseball games, and will go to the high school foot ball games to see my middle son who is in the marching band... I pick and choose my pains I guess you could say...

I recline as much as possible.

I've learned to delegate chores. Even though I enjoy dusting, sweeping, mopping, vacuming, etc...

I've also learned to be thankful I can even get out of bed... There was a time about 5 years ago or so where I could not perform even that simple act.

Apparently I do more than I thought I did to "manage" my chronic pain...

I'm exhausted now!
  • Haha. Thank you Jeaux. It seems you do do alot. I am glad. For me it helps taking a light medication before the pain gets intense as preventing a high pain episode is easier then fixing one. At least for me. I find that laying around alot makes my arthritis and overall pain worse. If I mix in laying with movement throughout the day I seem to benifit greatly. I am currently out of work but when I do get a job it would be nice if they had some where to lay down that wasnt in plain view. Not to take a nap or anything but to decompress some of my spine. I may just get a stay at home job. Regardless. Thanks for the post.
  • I take pain meds as well and Cymbalta for the sciatica in my leg and foot. I also use an Infrared Platinum heating pad which penetrates 2-1/2 inches into the back or leg as opposed to a regular heating pad which only heats 1/2 " into your skin. It was a good investment for me and wear it whenever I sit. I try to use the manual treadmill daily for 5 minutes and the recumbent stationary bicycle 3x a week for 30 minutes since I can't walk outside without taking a rest. The problem is with winter coming I'm afraid to slip and I have no where to sit and rest although the curb looks inviting I can't get up from the ground! I hope you have less pain days ahead Firewater. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.