Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

J.J.GreyJJ.J.Grey Posts: 2,961
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I just got the call from my attorney that I was approved for my SSD. They went all the way back to the day of my surgery. Thank all of you that have been so supportive. It really meant alot to me.

• I'm glad for you, hon!

If I were you, though, I would not count on that until you have the letter from the Office of Hearings and Appeals in your hand stating you have a Fully (or Partially) Favorable Decision.

But, I hope you do get that letter SOON!
  • I'm happy for you! That was faster than 60-90 days! You had to wait like a week since the hearing right? Finally not having to worry if you can pay the bills. Good for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • it took only 13 days from my hearing date so that was really good.

Jeaux, Thanks for that advice I will wait for the letter. Its weird but my lawyer always gets the letters about 2 weeks before I do.

Thanks again.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    You should take a picture of the first check and have Ron make an avatar.
    Such good news!!! I'm happy for you. Now onward to the next challenge!
    Good luck, Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • WONDERFUL news!!!!! :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • JJ! We are both happy campers huh? Let me know when you get your payment, I know you read my post about my mysterious deposit
  • I did reply to your post. If I get a mysterious deposit show up it will be very strange since I am positive that I never gave any account info.

Thanks everyone, as usual I really appreciate the support.
  • It is about time I have been keeping up with your posts and praying it would go through for you.I may need some of your advice as i filed in june of this year at my dr insistance, I am not sure what to expect, did you hire a local lawyer ? I went to the ssd website and I was given several options and the one that called me and sounded the nicest is who I went with, I have been out of work with no income what so ever since Jan 26th 2009, it has been rough especially after working in the medical field and not really needing the extra money to not having anything.Basically I just want to know what to look for. I spoke to my lawyers office about 2 weeks ago and she had gotten all of the medical forms back and turned them over to ssd she also sent me a copy of all of them and they stated that I was not allowed to evr bend , reach, stoop, twist. and could only sit for 1 hr or walk for 30 min. at any time, also stated that I did have the nerve damage and severe pain since the 4th surgery, I wish I had been tough like you and not had any of the surgeries, I wonder how I would feel today had I made that decision insteas of the one I did make. Anyway if you have a free moment to let me know what to expect I would appreciate it. Thanks Linda
  • =D> Yay for you! So glad that you have been approved. It's so good to hear a positive outcome!
  • I will be glad to help you in any way that I am able to. I actually did the same as you. After my first denial I went to a website and got a lawyer that is probably 2 hours away from me. They seemed very nice and helpful at first but it quickly got very hard to get them to return my calls. So I fired them and hired a local attorney. It is so hard to decide who to use unless you know something about them which I did not. Honestly I ended up not being very impressed at all with my lawyer but it worked out OK so that is what counts. Thank you so much for keeping up with me and rooting for me! I really appreciate that. Please feel free to ask me anything at all it really makes me feel good to be able to help someone else. Have you checked out this site? I got alot of good info here.

• I know what you mean. Sometimes there is so much doom and gloom that any little bit of good news is great to hear. Thanks for the support. You guys are all just great.
  • That's great news JJ. Congrats!
  • Happy to hear the waiting is over and its good news!
  • Congrats JJ! I'm so happy for you! I know what a relief it will be to finally get that first check! =)

I'd like to share a little of my story with you, if you don't mind? (if you do, just please skip this part) I haven't worked since June 2005 (I had worked as an EMT for a few years, then graduated from college and got my Paramedic degree. I was also working fire/rescue and was about to start firefighter training. I was injured (back) at work-EMS-twice-2002 & 2004 and worked up until I just couldn't take it anymore when I had an off duty injury again in 2005.) & have been appealing my SSDI since my first denial 4 years ago. I just received a letter on Saturday from my local Congressman stating he has contacted the appeals council on my behalf and asked that they extend all due consideration to my case & that they make a date for my next appeal hearing soon because of my declining health over the last 4 years which can easily be proven, as well as personal circumstances I've been thru (lived in a tent, gave 2 of my kids to their dad b/c I have no income or way to support them, & now my parents, who are retired, are having to pay all of my bills & support my oldest son & I after getting us from Michigan and moving us to Florida). I've been writing & calling people pretty heavily for the past 6 months or so because it's absolutely ridiculous that they make those of us who CANT work wait for years yet they keep increasing the amount and time of unemployment & things like that for those who are able bodied. Tho the letter doesn't mean much because it didn't come from SSA, it is at least a relief knowing that SOMEBODY out there cares and is willing to try and help me! (My Representative is also helping me fight with Medicaid down here because they put me on a "Share of Cost" for more than I even have coming in most months, and if I can't even pay my own rent, how can I possibly pay over $100 p/m in medical expenses before Medicaid will help at all?)

Anyway, this isn't about me, I just wanted you to know my personal battle (believe me, that's just one little snippet of my story) as it relates to yours. My attorney in Michigan sent a bill after I moved (my dad even asked the atty if it would mess anything up if he moved me down here before I knew what was coming and the atty said yes and that he could still represent me from MI), but it looks like he doesnt want to deal with me anymore. That's fine because I don't think I have to pay him anymore now if I do win since he billed me and was paid the nearly $300 in his costs and doesnt return my calls anymore. Hmm, perhaps I should be checking into that....there's always the fine print that might indicate otherwise. Might be a wise idea, eh? lol Anyway, thank you for reading this part of my situation. =)

I'm glad your story has come to a "happy ending", if you could call it that. Obviously the money doesn't take away the physical pain, but boy I bet it'll take away a LOTTA stress for you! Again, I'm very happy for your resolution & approval of SSDI!

Take good care!
  • That is beyond ridiculous! I am so sorry for all that you have lost through all of this. I have a very strong feeling that things are about to change for you. Thank goodness for family huh? I really do feel so bad for you and I am keeping my fingers crossed. Please do keep us posted as I will be following your story. Good luck.
  • Oh no JJ...please don't feel bad for me! I'm happy for YOU! I just wanted you to see how "lucky" you are to have been approved so "quickly", that's all! But yes, I will keep everyone here posted. (Hell, I even wrote Ellen-b/c on her website she asks viewers to write in what their story is and how they need help....so, I bit the bullet and did it, lol) I figure I don't have anything to lose 'cept maybe my dignity, and it surely can't hurt to try whatever avenues I can (well, the 'legal' ones, of course! LOL).

You take care hun, and again I'm so happy for you! You certainly deserved a break! :)
  • now they owe u back pay ! good job
  • Congratulations!!! It must be wonderful to have that worry behind you. Susan
  • Just think about how much you will get in back pay when you finally do get it. Maybe that will help to get you back on your feet.
  • SSI is not like SSD. The most backpay you would receive for SSI is the first day of the month AFTER you file for benefits.

Scenario 1 - Sally (30 years old) has never worked. She's been treated for a broken leg that has not healed right. She broke her leg in a fall way back in June, 2004. She did not file a disability claim until September 2008 (her sister's husband's cousin suggested to her that she should file a claim). Since she has never worked, she is only eligible for SSI benefits. Well, turns out, the type of broken leg she has is severe enough to meet the disability requirements. A judge finally made that decision 11/09. The date she is eligible for is 9/08, but her payments won't start until 10/08. So she will get about a year's worth of back pay.

Scenario 2 - Martha (55) has worked as a bricklayer for the last 15 years. Naturally, with all that hard work, she's having neck and back problems. She had to stop working in 6/07, had surgery in 8/08; She finally filed for disability in 6/09. She was approved in 11/09, with an onset of 6/07 - the date she last worked. Her back pay will be from 6/07.

Oops! Disability claims are in my 'comfort zone' of knowledge and I tend to go on and on and on (and on). Sorry....