Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

XLIF Study on Obese Patients

ernurseeernurse Posts: 790
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just some interesting stats on a recent study for those interested in an XLIF.

I know some surgeons believe that an obese patient should have gastric bypass or lap band before spine surgery, but this study makes a case for doing it AFTER spine surgery.

Rodgers told ORTHOSuperSite.com: “[These results] tell us that we as surgeons have to re-evaluate our own prejudices about whom we can and can’t help. … We have to be willing to reassess what we have taken as established dogma."

• This is quite interesting. My OS said to my husband, who is a really big guy, that he would not expect him to do so well with a fusion surgery as I did because of his size. But then prior to mine he also did a fusion for a neighbor, who is on the heavy size, and she also did well. I wonder if there is some prejudice against obese people?

• I really don't want to open a whole new can of worms here but I think that docs often blame health issues on the weight for overweight folks. I know that it is not good for your health to be overweight but not all medical issues with overweight folks are due to their weight. Kind of like smoking. Don't get me wrong I do know that smoking is horrible for your health. But I think that for smokers things are blamed on cigarettes that may have absolutely nothing to do with cigs. It is just too easy for obesity or smoking to be a catch all in my opinion.
  • yes i agree with....j.j.grey.they blame to much stuff on overweight people and smokers.
  • for finding this...one of the reasons that i was denied by social security for disability was for not following doctor recommendations to have the gastric bypass--knowing that i have NO OTHER MAJOR OR MINOR HEALTH ISSUES just back pain, and that bypass could/would cause problems.

thankfully, i have finally found a surgeon who is willing to work with me, and will send a copy of this report to my disability attorny as further evidence to support my claim.

again...thank you...

btw...after quitting neurontin,lyrica, and switching to topamax, i have lost 50 pounds! (that these meds helped me gain)
  • I'm pretty sure my obesity helped my back degenerate into its miserable condition. Fortunately, when I fell and ruptured my three discs, I was already in the queue for gastric bypass surgery, which I had two months after my accident. Losing 85 pounds surely took a lot of pressure off my spine and helped buy me some time before I was finally forced to have the fusion. I must say that I move a whole lot better without all that weight on me, even with four vertebrae fused together!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.