Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Pain and Acute Pain

davedave Posts: 860
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
I posted the following story in another thread and thought it might lend itself to a lively discussion.

This past weekend, my wife asked me to taste the soup in the crock pot to make sure it was good and hot and that the potatoes were cooked. Being a typical guy, I spilled half of my taste on my shirt and the other half on my right foot. The second taste confirmed that everything was done and definately hot.

Well, I cleaned myself up, cursed my self for being a spaz, and changed my shirt. Didn't really think much about the event till later that evening when I discovered that I had severely burned my foot (3rd degree burns).

The moral of the story is, if you suffer from nerve damage, you should take the time to exam yourself thoroughly when bad things happen. It's possible that you can injure yourself and the pain from that injury either doesn't register or does not meet the threshold that you already feel.

• Keep a close eye on that. I have to constantly remind my wife to keep an eye on her feet and to not go barefoot anymore, she has been type II diabetic for over 10 years now.
    Between myself and her doctor we have gotten her to start listening. Her doctor always checks her feet. Looking for any signs of problems of course, but if there is any dirt in cracks and crevices such as you get walking outdoors barefoot she gets yelled at :D
    Even though all her blood level tests are good to excellent any small injury she gets to her feet now takes a long time to heal.

I'm only mentioning it as sometimes with nerve damage you get reduced circulation.

Take care, and next time use a straw.... :?
  • Good point. Many of us wind up with "modified pain reception" for a lack of better terms as well as flat out nerve damage and lack of feeling. After my C2 ganglionectomy the NS tested me over and over trying to make certain that I wasn't going to inadvertently bump my head into something. The ganglionectomy numbed a large portion of my neck and scalp on one side. I haven't bumped it into much, but I have to be careful using a hair dryer, brush or comb. I think scratching at phantom "itches" is the biggest worry, since I can feel the itch but not the scratch.

Okay, now that I made myself sound like an idiot ... good topic.

• Wrambler, thanks for the straw tip. It probably wouldn't work with potato soup but the thought counts. I probably fall into the realm that your wife is in. I'm very careless with my feet and legs. I try to act like I'm normal, haven't been that for decades on more than one level. Most of my nerve damage is fairly recent, only a couple years young. I'm still learning to live with my situation. This is the second time that I've injured myself. I stubbed my big toe about 18 months ago and split the edge of my toe pretty good. The advantage is you get to save on doctors visits cause you feel no pain, just kidding.

C, you don't sound like an idiot. We need to proceed with caution sometimes and be aware your body. Like it or not, we are broken. I can put my feet in scolding hot water and not even wince, yet splash cold water on them and you might as well have thrown battery acid on them. Basically the nerves are broken up stream and warping the signals.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Recently I had root canal.. It didnt work, and that tooth pain drove me up a wall.. But I know it was just acute pain and it would be gone soon, but still I didnt handle it well.
    Even more recently, I have had major problems with arthritis in my shoulders. So, to the Ortho and another set of deep cortisone injections. This time, instead of making them feel better, they got worse. I told that doctor, I can handle chronic pain, I know how to deal with that, but acute pain, is so difficult.
    He explained in detail the differences between how a patient handles chronic vs acute pain. . About 10 minutes into the discussion, I grabbed him and said I KNOW, Give me something NOW... I felt like a little kid, but he understood and gave me 3 days of Perocet just to get over the acute pain.
    It is amazing how our body adjusts
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ron
    watch out, your pain meds are playing havoc with your looks. i would switch meds asap or you might look like babe ruth or reggie jackson. my wife tells me my meds are making me look like brad pitt. lets see, brad pitt, jackson, pitt, jackson, i think i am looking better
    good luck with your meds. try the fenatyl suckers
    good luck
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Well, I would have to agree with that one... No question, Pitt vs the others. Perhaps you can share your secret as to what medication has turned you into Bradd!!!!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My wife just says I'm the pitts.... :?

Somehow I don't think that's the same Pitt? :O

Is it :))(

• (and you fellas are so funny) it seems as though those of us with nerve damage will a. feel pain that isn't really there and b. not feel pain that really is there. I haven't experienced b. yet but already I can say, "Stop the world, I want to get off." Susan.
This discussion has been closed.