Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Celebrex ! Are There Other Options?

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,568
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Medications
Celebrex is my hero med.!

I was getting samples for it for about a yr from my Dr. he recently ran out of the samples :(

Within 2 days of being off it I noticed a HUGE difference in my pain as well as stiffness in all my joints.

My insurance won't pay for it - as they say I can take ibuprofen and get the same relief. NO I can't! I tried before the samples were given to me and I have tried in the last few days. I took a large dose, as well as the normal doses over the past week and NOTHING!

A friend of mine swears by Excedrin back & body ( she too use to take celebrex ) and that also give me NO help.

The cost of it for a 1 month supply here is 125.00 which I can't handle.

I did find it in Canada for like 45.00 but my Dr does not want to fax a script out of country - which I can understand.

Has anyone found anything - natural or drug wise that helps to replace celebrex?
L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
advertisement

Comments

• I can't take Celebrex. I used to. I have tried Bextra, Celebrex, and Relephen (all anti inflamation meds). My insurance always pays. Ask you doctor for a less expensive generic and he ought to be able to come up with something like Celebrex.

I take OTC Ibuprofen but apparently it is worse for you long term than the prescriptions.

Funny that your inusurance wont pay and mine requires it as treatment before my surgery.

Good luck,
  • ask your doctor about arthotec. It is on the same lines as celebrex but more sutle on your stomach.
  • Not sure if the spelling is correct but it worked just as well as Celebrex for me. It is a generic so it was fairly inexpensive.
  • Much thanks to all and also for the PM I was sent. I will look into all of this ideas/options. Thanks :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I started taking MOBIC, and I find it really helps me. Its a once a day pill, and I take 15mg. Some sides effects, but they are going away now. I couldn't take Celebrex, and my Dr. thinks Mobic is much better. So, just a thought! sweetpotatoe57
  • If you are not in the USA, you can look for Arcoxia, (it is not available in USA). Arcoxia compares with Celebrex in terms of effectiveness and is a Cox-2 NSAID as Celebrex is too.

Arcoxia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etoricoxib) is my wonder drug for moderate pain relief.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• My greatest Thanks :)
  • I used this instead of Celebrex. Since Celebrex was going for about $200/bottle. What a joke. The cost of the Oxaprozin fit under generic and was dirt cheap. For me it even worked better than Celebrex.
  • I take Mobic, also-no side effects & there's a generic,too- Meloxicam.
  • It is so funny that you posted this because I was so going to post about it. My rheumy gave me samples of this and I wasn't too hopeful but after my samples ran out, I realized that it totally did make a difference. I was thinking that it was the steroid medrol(sp?) dose pack that my family doc had given me for bronchitis that had made me feel better for a week or so but then I was still feeling pretty good after that was done until I ran out of the Celebrex. I left a message for my rheumy this weekend to see if he could call me in a prescription for the Celebrex. He did say that if it worked that I could just take Aleve which he said works just as well but that really upsets my stomach. If it doesn't upset your tummy, I would give it a try. Lauren.
advertisement