Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op from plif on l5 s1

mike 29mmike 29 Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey guys does anyone else have a sleepy foot? since I woke up from surgery my left foot has been asleep?

• I had the plif on weds. the 28th of oct.
  • had this surgery yet but I do know that after any surgery that nerves are involved with you may experience different sensations and feelings that may seem odd. You are still very early in the recovery process but if you are concerned about it you may want to check with your surgeon to be sure. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • You can check with your surgeon, but chances are, he/she will tell you that the nerves were stretched during surgery and it will take some time for them to calm down...or the spinal nerve was compressed and it will take awhile for the nerve to recover. Nerves heal VERY slowly...it can take up to one year, and sometimes longer if the nerve has been compressed for a period of time prior to surgery.

I gather you did not have this symptom prior to surgery?

It is frustrating to awaken from surgery with a new pain you didn't have before...but usually, they are temporary. It may not go away quickly, but it usually will eventually resolve.

If you are able, you might want to do ankle pumps, ankle circles and just bend and flex your foot at the ankle several times each day. If nothing else, it will keep freshly oxygenated blood flowing to your foot.

You are very early in your recovery. You will feel all sorts of different sensations during the next two to three months. Try to be patient and realize you had a BIG surgery, and it will take time to heal.

Try to take it a day at a time, walk and rest, walk and rest. Those are your most important "jobs" for the next several weeks!

• hi and welcome to the forum. :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. thanks for stopping by. :D good luck with your recovery. Jenny :)
  • I called the surgeon yesterday and they did say that with the moving the nerves this is common. It just really drives me nuts with it felling this way. So i will just walk,sleep and pray. everyone have a great painless or as much as it can be day. :)