Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior failed fusion surgery coming up 12/08 HELP

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello I am a 50 year old female who is flirting with having yet another surgery very soon. My history and my dates are guessing I don't keep records, actually lets skip dates over the last 10 years I had laminectomy for L4/L5 and then Fusion of L4/5 & L/5 S1 with my own bone used, then had the hardware removed because the screws were backing out. Then had an internal bone growth stimulator removed what a mess, then had a anterior cervical fusion C3/4, 4/5, 5/6 with instrumentation and they used donor bone and now I am stuck with a failed fusion at C 5/6. I have been in horrible pain since my neck surgery 3 years ago. I have been dealing with chronic pain for 12 years now. I am here and have joined because I just cannot seem to make up my mind about the surgery my new surgeon wants to do. He wants to do a posterior revision surgery, taking out the old hardward, putting in new hardware, using my bone this time, bone marrow and a cage and also stablizing my neck because i have keyphosis (sp) where my neck is curved the wrong way. From what I have read I am petrified because of the post op pain. I take oxycodone x4 plus some x4 and that's it. i have been on everything from lyrica to lexapro and all in between. From what I have read I am leaning to no surgery right now because I am at least able to work and sleep somewhat okay. But on my bad days when i am miserable then I think maybe they can fix me... I go back and forth I need some friends who live in my world and I have read that there are a lot of my brothers and sisters on this site. Thanks for any input or ideas about should I or shouldn't I. I know only I can decide but I need support. Thanks!


  • I am only able to give you my personal opinion and you are right, the decision must be your owm. I personally feel that surgery should be left to the last bitter minute because as you have found out it holds no guarantees and actually can make your pain worse. But, if I were to the point that I absolutely had to have surgery I would at a minimum get a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd opinion from a qualified spinal specialist before going ahead with the surgery. I hope this helps you. Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. of course you know surgery is an extremely personal decision... do your homework. you have come to a great site to get firsthand information from fellow members and info and reports from doctors... good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon. :D Jenny :)
  • Hi,

    First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many who have or are going through what you are. I am someone who went through the cervical revision surgery you are speaking of. I can tell you from my experience the anterior surgery is a much easier surgery than the posterior surgery. I think what you need to find out from the surgeon is what are you risking, by not having the surgery. I had the surgery to stop the psuedoarthrosis(sp). In my situation it was a must fix situation as the bone was headed the wrong way and there was a stablization issue. So any type of jarring to my neck would have done me in. The decision for surgery was rather easy at that point and time. I as you, was back at work, and the pain somedays was just unbearable, my biggest fear was if something happened, and caused me more serious issues. I think my best advice is to seek some clarification from the surgeon as to what are the risk of not doing the surgery.

    Anyway just wanted to stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.
Sign In or Register to comment.