Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD Payment

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I received my letter that I was found fully favorable about 2 weeks ago. No other paperwork was received. Then today, out of the blue, a deposit of $5728.00 was in my checking account from US Treasury 303. No futher info was included. I have no idea what this is. #303 is the Philadelphia region where I went to court. My back pay should be alot more then that, it should be from Jan 09, so I dont know what this is. I emailed my attorney for info but Im very concerned that if this is the back pay, my monthly payments are going to very very small, well below what I thought they would be according to the calculators I used to figure out. Im very upset right now. We will loose our home and forget Disney. Im so nervous. Also I never filled out anything foe direct deposit. How did they get this info? Please if someone could help me.

• Go back to the original letter. Does it say that your eligibilty date is Jan 09? I got my letter yesterday and I was found disabled Dec 18, 2007 but my eligibilty is 06/01/2008. My back pay will only go to 06/01/2008
  • that your money will show up well before the letter of explanation but I have no clue how they could get your account info. Although it is the government. Please let me know what you find out as I am right behind you.
  • I see several different scenarios here, moonchild.

First, look at the top right hand corner of your letter.... Does it say "Department of Social Security, Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income" or something like that? Sometimes, when people file a claim, without knowing it the SSA Representative will fill out and submit the disability application for both programs (SSD and SSI). If someone is deemed disabled, they will get a small backpay from the SSI program just to tide them over until the SSD kicks in.

Second - this may be your benefit amount MINUS attorney fees (which come right off the top - before your check is ever cut)?

Third - did you have Worker's Comp or Long Term Disability through your work? This may be an adjusted amount...

Finally, this may be all there is, since your onset date was February of this year... ?

Also - don't forget your children's benefits too. Maybe that's what this is? The children's Dependent Benefit back pay? That'd be cool if it were!

Hopefully, you will have more coming. If your attorney does not answer your email by lunch, I'd call him and speak to either him or his office manager/paralegal/legal assistant...

Good luck - I hope you have bucketsful of money coming to you!

(JJ - that's great that you received your letter so quick!)
  • Yes it is. I went back and looked at a letter that I got from my attorney at the same time that I got my SSD approval letter. He told me to contact him when I get my awards letter because it is very common for them to make mistakes in calculating the pay.
    Also they will take the attorney fees from the back pay but they do not take out any back pay that you may owe to your LTD company. You are responsible for sending the money to LTD if you owe them anything.
  • hoping that this is my back pay minus attorney fees, that would be great. I just have SSD, no SSi and I never applied for benifits for my children. Also never received any money from workmans comp or anyone while out of work. The Judge clearly stated Jan 1st would be my effective date.

how does one apply for children?
  • Well, you just give SSA the names, dates of birth and SSN of any children under the age of 18 (19 if still in school) at the time you became disabled. BUT, your attorney (or his staff) should have gotten this from you as soon as the Notice of Fully Favorable Decision was received. After all, it's part of the whole "attorney representation package". At least is was for the attorney I worked for. Yours should have gotten this from you at the time you hired him/her and filled out the representative forms (usually an attorney will not accept a case if they do not think it's a good one, or a winable claim...). You may have done this and not remember? Maybe you even provided checking account information without realizing?

It's much easier for the attorney (or his staff) to get this information to SSA than it is for the claimants to do so.

(99% of the time, the attorney has received his letter AND his pay before the claimants even know they were approved - there are extinuating circumstances to every case, but that's usually how it goes....)

Either way, I hope this will be enough for you to still go to Disney. As far as your house goes, hope things work out for you on that as well.
  • You are right, Im sure at some point I did give him all this info, and instead of thinking negative I should be thankful I even got anything. Unfortunatley, the last 2 years has been hard and ive been kicked in the butt several times so im kinda looking at things as half empty these days. Im sure a letter is to folllow and all will work out.
  • as to how they got your acct info? I am positive that I have not provided any acct info and I have not been asked for the info. I understand about always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I live my life by Murphy's Law!
  • I am wondering when you filed for your disability, how long it actually took before you got your hearing and then your letter of approval. I have already filed but havent heard anything and am not to sure how long it might be as I have no other type of long term or short term disability or any other income. JJ what is the LTD company and what type of fees do they incur. I am just trying to get a feel of what will be happening and how fast.
  • Sometimes, we provide information to certain entities without even remembering or thinking about it at the time. If you applied on-line, maybe one of the questions had to do with banking information, specifically your routing information... I do many many things by habit, and absent-mindedly and lots of times I find me asking myself - "did I turn off the curling iron?" "did I lock the door?" "did I turn off the iron?" "did I leave the coffee pot on?" "did I take that last dose?"

OY. It's tough being me, I'll tell you that much!
  • called today. The payment was my back pay minus his fee of 25 % so it puts my monthly payments at about $700.00. Less than what I was expecting but I have to be thankful for what I get. I did apply on line and probably gave my bank ifo and just forgot.
    for Tweety, here is my time line:
    July 2008 initial application done on line
    Dec 2008 Denied
    got attorney to file appeal ASAP
    Aug 2009 AJS Hearing
    Oct 20th received letter fully favorable
    Nov 3 had payment in bank

I just went online and requested a password for the SSD website so I can do everything on line. I for want to have taxes taken out before I get the payment.
  • Dont forget "did I put my pants on" yes It happened to me the other day. I went out to turn the pumpkin lights out without pants on" I had my nighty shirt on. LOL
  • if they might have asked for the acct info on the initial app. That was so long ago no wonder that we would forget!
  • Congrats!

Reading all of these posts from others who are getting their approvals and backpay sure is making me....oh...I guess "jealous" is the word, tho I feel bad even thinking that way :-( I first applied in Sept 2005. I've been denied 3 times (last was ALJ) and I'm still waiting....and waiting....and waiting....

BUT, I do have kinda good news. The Congressmans Ofc here where I moved to in FL got ODAR to expedite my appeal hearing date and has asked that they overturn my denial from my ALJ so...? Maybe since they agreed to "speed up" my appeal, they will also agree FINALLY that I'm disabled! (since moving to Florida I've also gotten official dx's of Fibromyalgia and Carpal Tunnel in both wrists-in addition to 7 bad discs in my back now). But hey, I'm just thankful I'm not still living in a tent in Michigan! It's COLD up there! lol
  • Your luck is about to change for the better. You have certainly been through enough to justify it.
  • Thanks J.J.! I sure hope you're right about that! I've been "the squeaky wheel" for a very long time and maybe now I've finally begun "squeaking" loud enough to be really HEARD! ;-) I'll definitely keep you all posted!

On a positive note-I finally got Florida to change my Medicaid from a "Share of Cost" (higher than my income, btw) to the best plan available which will cover another discogram (ugh-NOT looking forward to that!) and other testing that my Dr down here (Florida Spine Institute) wants to do for himself since it's been so long since I've had them done when I was in Michigan. Doesn't start until Jan 1st, but I'm just glad to have it! It's been costing $117 every month for the office visits ($300 for the first one!) plus out of pocket for the meds, which means only filling what is absolutely necessary and not taking things I should be but just couldn't (I owe my parents SO much money for helping me out!). SO, just called the pharmacy and found out that m'caid actually approved the Soma & the Ambien CR, both of which I've had to go w/o the last few months...YAY! I'll be picking those up a little bit later. Maybe I'll get a good nights sleep tonight! =)

(Oh, and naturally, my atty in Mich received notice that I'd heard from ODAR and suddenly they want ME to send THEM all of the copies of stuff I've had to be doing myself these last 6 months that they had "disappeared"....seems they want their 25% of my backpay afterall! I was just about to send them a letter firing them b/c they haven't been updating SSA, returning my calls or anything..I'VE been doing all the work-but I guess I can't, according to them anyway. Hmm, IF SSDI backpay goes to when I filed-that would be fall of 2005, which was a few months after I had to stop working. I think my 'sleeping' atty smells the $ & is now suddenly awake! Go figure! LOL)

Anyhow-thanks again J.J., and Congrats again dmoonchild (& all others that have been getting approved lately!). Ya'll can relax & enjoy the holidays now! :-)