Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Moving

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:38 AM in Water Cooler
For those who suffer from mild to moderate back pain - what do you do when you have to move (relocate from your current residence)?

I have a cross-country move coming up and frankly I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the moving details. I can't really help move furniture, heavy boxes, well pretty much everything in my house. Would this be the appropriate time to put the crowbar to my wallet and pay someone to do it for me?

I'm afraid that if I try to do too much I'll have a relapse of my back problems and have to start a new job in terrible pain and discomfort.

Note: The vast majority of my stuff will go straight to storage - so it won't move with me.
advertisement

Comments

• We moved about 250 miles a few years back. We rented a uhaul but paid movers to load on that end and also to unload on this end. I still ended up doing too much and paid dearly for it. Break out the crowbar and save your back. Good luck.
  • i have moved many times and each time it gets more and more difficult.. ~X( if you can afford it, go the way of having someone do it for you.. =D> the wear and tear on your back is so not worth it... your tears and aches and pains will make you sorry you did not let go of the cash... so please take j.j. Grey's and my advice and have someone do it for you.. there is still alot of work you will have to do,like putting all the boxes away!!! so get a mover and that way you will save your back.. :D think about it!! Jenny :)
  • My two cents -- definitely pay for the movers! If you're moving cross country and starting a new job, you have enough emotional stress to make your pain levels spike. No need to add an additional level by straining muscles. :D :D

Best of luck, sounds exciting, starting a new adventure!

Judy
  • Not to sound like a broken record, but "pay someone else to move you". My husband and I recently relocated and even with paying a company to move us, I found myself fiddling around with stuff in preparation and of course with things after we arrived. It's just going to happen. However, it does settle back down. The key was to have others there to do all the repetitive motion of pulling things out of cabinets and placing them in boxes and loading and unloading and even unpacking! Moving companies have what they call "door to door service" which means all you do is stand or sit there and give them directions and they do all the work. This includes removal of all packing material and boxes.

"C"
  • I've done moves both by myself (well, with help from friends and family of course) and with professional movers. Let me tell you, having professionals move you is so much better!! If you can afford it, hire movers for the whole move, ie packing and unpacking as well as the actual relocation, it's so much easier on the body and the mind. Plus, if they break or damage something, it's covered under insurance. If you can't afford all of that, then definitely hire them for just the loading and unloading part of it. Either way, you won't regret it.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
advertisement