Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any ex- Foot Drop-per here?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671

I'm sorry if I posted to the wrong forum.

My case is I got my left popliteal operated on the 28th of August this year, then a washout on the 3rd of September. The problem is, soon after the surgery (not the washout), I noticed I got Foot Drop. Should I blame the surgeon? Or would you forgive him?... :)

But more importantly, will I ever recover?
Or did you recover (if you were like me)?
How, and how long?

• I have no idea about wash out but i had a severe rupture on l5-s1 severe foot drop, Im now 1 yr after op and still have foot drop so im not sure if ill get all the strength back but doc did say it can take a long time cause nerves heal very slowly and some times have to regrow. But im better then i was before micro so i cannt complain but it would be nice to get all the strength back i like to hike and hunt so foot drop afect my stability hiking mainly down hills but when im not carefull i step on back of foot and almost wipe out going down hill caus e then foo so falls so fast. Hope ya get better

• I had drop foot prior to my surgery, it has since resolved, though there is some residual numbness/weakness that I hope will continue to improve/resolve. Nerves can get 'angry' easily, sometimes it occurs prior to a surgery due to an impingement, sometimes after, since they are often stretched or irritated in some manner during the surgery. Most sources state nerves heal at a rate of approximately 1 mm/per day, my OSS told me it could take 'years' for numbness/weakness to improve post surgery (I had total right leg/foot involvement). Dependant on where the nerve is irritated would dictate how long it will take for healing, however, there is never any guarantee if healing will occur (completely or incompletely). Have you spoken to your surgeon or been examined by h/she since you've developed the problem? What have you been told? For spineys, we're strongly encouraged before/after surgery to walk and do appropriate gentle stretches to facilitate blood flow which in turn helps w/ healing - were you given any instructions for postop exercise?

Hope this helps, keep us posted.