Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have you ever wondered if a wheel chair would help your pain?

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
Please forgive me if I have posted such a question as this before. I don't think I have. It is a thought that comes to my mind once in awhile so maybe I did :?

My pain level tonight is TOPPED out, so not all brain cells are working right now.

I have been off my celebrex for about a week now and OMG this cold weather is maxing me!
I got by from samples from my Dr for over a yr but he finally ran out. Thanks to so wonderful members here I have a few more leads to track down that may help me. My insurance won't pay for my celebrex :(

But even on celebrex I get maxed out pain levels every few months anyways - just due to "life".

At times like these I wonder why I fight so hard to remain upright. My disks, hips & knees are such that my Drs would like to see me in a wheel chair just to take off some of the "load".

I keep saying "maybe some day AFTER I lose weight". I gained so much weight after the injury. I know that if I set in a chair right now I will remain obese.

However if I could lose the weight maybe the "load" would not be so bad...

Where is the shaking head not knowing what to think any more smiley lol

I know a chair is not a miracle - but I wonder sometimes if my Drs are right and it would reduce my pain levels.

Any ways - so I wonder if I am alone in thinking like this.

Has your pain ever been so bad that you thought a wheel chair looked good ?

Even if this post makes no sense - thanks for the space to rant & rave and have a mini pity party for myself...

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• I know what you mean about not wanting to give in to the chair. When I was obese I had a couple of ankle surgeries and had to use one because I could not haul myself around on crutches. The chair was really a life saver. However, when I injured my back, I was in the queue for gastric bypass surgery and had it two months after I hurt my back. I'm really glad I lost the 85 pounds that I did. It has taken a tremendous load off my joints. I look at people in chairs and think it's a wonderful thing they have them, but I really hope I'll never need to use one again as long as I live. Are you in an active plan to reduce your weight? If you are and you are fighting to remain upright as you do it, more power to you. If you are not currently actively trying to lose, I'd say go with the chair until you can get yourself in a position to work on the weight.

That said, I just want to tell you I know it is not easy. Some folks tell me I took the easy way out -- let me tell you, weight loss surgery is NOT easy. They can fix your stomach, but they can't fix your head. I still fight the weight battle, but at least I have a tiny stomach to help me.

God bless you,
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had gastric bypass in 06-lost 120lbs! I am so glad i did and would do it again. We didn't take the easy way out- people who aren't or have never been obese can't understand the inner hell we go through. I felt trapped inside my own body-sad to see myself on the outside. None the less I still have back pain but early in my recovery from a 2 level 360 fusion.

I have never considered a wheel chair so I see it as a double edged sword- would it feed your sorrow to not get up and move?? but yet having it would ease the pain?? I would suggest- NO YET- get on an active exercise program-walking walking walking as much as you can.

Good luck-I wish you the best!~
  • My thanks to both of you :)

I would love to exercise..... I guess if I am truthful with myself & others, I could do SOMETHING more then what I am doing now - which is nothing. I think I keep waiting to be able to exercise like I did before injury.

Another mental hurdle to over come.

My Dr has approved as well as suggested WLS for me.

I told my hubby the other day that if I don't have some of this weight off by spring, I am going to do it.

Easy way out - no I never have thought that about WLS.

Chair subject never enters my mind until my pain is maxed as it was last night. I woke up to find the pain cause is TOM ( time of month ). Not sure why but boy does TOM increase my pain levels :?

2 weeks tomorrow I had an ablation done in part to stop TOM, but was told it can take up to 3 cycles for it to fully work. However the other effects of TOM ( cramping, headaches, back pain etc. ) are still with me this cycle and not sure if they will always remain.

Well TOM also helps explain the roller coaster of emotions I am on right now regarding my back.

Again - My Thanks !! :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I would personally save that for the final resort. I do not think that it would help that much for me as sitting causes me a great deal of pain. I do think that you would lose a great deal of mobility if you were bound to a chair all of the time. My mom is 72 and has lots of health issues. She is losing her independence not being able to walk very far etc. My sisters and I thought about getting her a scooter. But after talking to other folks that had family members in those scooters we decided not to do it. They all said that the family member using the scooter had a decline in health after using them and they felt it was due to very little movement because they used the scooter. Well thats my opinion on it anyway.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I have a wheelchair, I use in the home when times get really bad, I always use one at the airport when I travel, if you saw marirlpn's post on 'Liz's trip to America' you will see I do travel. I also use one when there is too much walking for me. It is one of the ways I pace myself to avoid those too frequent flare-ups otherwise.
    When I lived on my own and needed to shop, the scooter was my only way, even the little dog I had at the time, travelled on the foot plate to the park, where she would jump off and go for her run, when time she would jump on no problem and off we went back home.
    In my home I use a walker/tea trolley to relieve the weight on my back and knees.
    A wheelchair is a good aid but not necessarily become something to be relied on. In my opinion

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • My thanks again to all :)

Scooter, or chair is something I am going to look into for next summer unless a miracle happens to me.

I want to take the grandkids to some fairs and other events that I just can not do on my own 2 feet.

I am hoping I can rent one. I would need to use it maybe like 5 to 8 times the whole summer.

Like I said earlier - it just comes up in my mind when my pain level is maxed and I feel I need to so something more for myself - ya know.

I am not sure who I think I am kidding when I think like this lol I just a few weeks ago said "OK" to a HC parking permit lol ;)

With the icy season coming up fast, I want to be as close to the doors of stores and such as I can be....
  • will cover the gastric bypass, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. As I tell everyone, I'd do it again -- every day and twice on Sundays! No, it isn't easy, but it has been a miraculous life saver for me. I wasn't morbidly obese, but I was nearly 100 pounds overweight. I lost 85 of those pounds and have kept them off for over 2 years now. I cannot tell you what a freeing experience it is to be rid of that weight. I cannot imagine what it would be like to try and deal with my back issues without having shed the weight. I'm still trying to lose my last 15 pounds. I'm hoping to get active enough to finally get them off. No, it's not an easy path to follow, but I can tell you life is SO MUCH BETTER now that I've lost my Michelin Man Suit!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.