Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Arthritis in Shoulders

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
About 8 years ago,after some X-rays and a Bone Scan, I discovered just how much arthritis I have in both shoulders.
The past couple of years, it has been getting worse and with my last set of X-Rays (1/09), it should basically bone on bone and the solution is total shoulder replacements. Since I have had so many spinal surgeries, I am not jumping at the idea of replacing both shoulders. I know that will just play havoc with some of the cervical and thoracic area muscles that I am trying to get under control.
I have been going for cortisone injections to treat my shoulders when they become too painful. I had two injections last week. My worse shoulder responded very good with the cortisone as it has in the past. But, my better of the two shoulders did not. The doctor did tell me he had all sorts of problems getting those long needles in place for the injection. A week went by and the shoulder was getting worse. I went back to the doctor and he put me on a Medrol Dos Pack (Steroid) for 10 days. 10 Days is about up and no improvement. I had a monthly follow up appointment with my Pain management doctor and she was a bit concerned about the swelling in my hand and arm... I really hadnt noticed it.
She just put me on Flector Patches. They are basically topical treatments that contain diclofenac which is in the same class as Advil, Motrin, etc.
I sure hope this helps. Right now, we just feel that the doctor hit a nerve when doing the injection. Guess its easy to understand that since
I do have so much arthritis there and my muscles and shoulder area are real tight. So, it should take a while longer until the pain in my right shoulder starts to feel better

Next week my wife and I are heading down to Sarasota Florida for a family vacation. We are driving, so having two good shoulders would help.

I am just curious to know if anyone out there has had shoulder replacements. I really do not want to go that route, but I think as time goes by, my shoulders are just going to cause more problems.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• but I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear that you are going through this. It certainly seems that you have had your fair share of surgeries and issues that cause pain. I hope things work out OK for you and I do hope that you are able to enjoy your vacation. Maybe some of that warm Florida sunshine will help some of your pain.
  • Hi,about 4 years ago my ortho doc said I needed aright shoulder replacement with the left soon to follow so we injected the right with cortison 3x with little relief.He wanted to put in Supartz which had only been used for knees so my insurance would not approve but he found some in his office that a client had ordered but didn't use so he donated it to me and only charged the insurance the fee to inject it.But it was like a miracle it worked so well.The relief was immediate and lastd well over 2 yrs.I had bone on bone and bone spurs and it was just great .It was a series of 5 injections over 5 weeks and I see now that they are doing clinical trials now on shoulders with Supartz.It is quite expensive about 8or 9 hundred $ but it sure did work for me.I still haven't gotten the replacement but its coming.Good Luck in whatever you decide.Turkersmom