Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 Week Post-Op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi folks,

I just thought I'd share a few things since this is 1 week since my surgery and on my 3rd day home.

I'm doing well I guess. It's sooooo easy to over-do it. I saw that posted often before my surgery but didn't realize how true it could be. The first couple days after my surgery I had some awful secondary pain but was very pleased about how it was going in general. Then right along with them deciding it was time for the morphine pump to go, I think I over did things just a little bit but with rough consequences. All I did was take one of my trips down the hall and back just a tad bit too fast because I was feeling so good. From that point on I started having spasms up one side that took me way backwards. I was no longer able to stand so easy and could only walk as far as the door to my room. I'm just now progressing out of that.

Today is my 3rd day home and I can honestly say the 2nd day in a row that I feel progressively better. Another thing that is evidence of how easy it is to mess things up occurred on my 1st night home. I was determined to sit in my recliner in the front room so I could be around my wife and kids. The furniture in the front room was just too damn low for me! I would not accept it so I aggrivated the spasms and my hip on the same side trying to get out of my recliner.

So, for the last 2 days I've staid in bed and it has made all the difference in the world. My bed sits way high and is real easy to get in and out of. Dad is supposed to make a frame for me that will raise the recliner up a few inches but I think by the time I get it I may not need it. I still have a sharp pain in my hip that worries me a bit. Just hoping they didn't do something to me that wasn't already wrong....We'll see.

I wanted to mention 1 other thing. I have over 30 staples and an incision that is about 12" long. He was supposed to be working on L3-S1 and I don't think I ever heard anybody say anything about an incision longer than 6". Can't wait to get back in there next week and find out what that's about. I'm also anxious to find out about all he welting I have on my forehead and across my stomache / pubic area. That is the secondary pain I was talking about earlier. I'm sure it's just from a rough 7 hour long surgery but you would think they could pad things enough to keep that from happening. It was kind of like the movie "major payne" where he breaks peoples fingers so they wont have pain in other places! lol

I guess that's it for now from me. Everyone take care and God bless.

- Bob

• want to go ahead to and get that frame for your recliner- you will need and use it for a long time. I am 8 week post op and still have trouble getting up off of my loveseat/couch- it too is very low so I really try to avoid sitting on them. I hate it as my kids want me to hang out with in the livingroom but its easier to sit in my high bed and visit with them and watch TV.

Please take it slowly! I certainly can't stress that enough! I over did it yesterday because I felt so good and paid dearly for it all evening and night.

Good luck- be good to yourself and let others take care of you too!!`
  • Now that you are through the surgery I will tell you a little story about just how brutal the PLIF is on your body. It is a very physical surgery, a carpentry project, really. They use saws, drills, hammers, screws....I go to a guy that is technically an acupuncturist and he does body work and is trained as a massage therapist...but he works for several spinal surgeons in my city. He recently attended an event held by a spinal clinic where reps from several of the spinal hardware companies were present with their products. They brought along the "mannequins" that are used to train surgeons in the use of the new hardware -- you know, rods, screws, cages, etc. My guy was simply shocked at the amount of force that had to be used to pound in a cage, for example, between two vertebrae. They want it to fit tight so it won't fall out before it is fused...and apparently it takes some effort to get it wedged in there. My guy is now amazed that anyone comes out of the surgery reasonably intact!!

When I came out of a one level fusion I had horrendous pain down the front of one thigh. My surgeon told me that they try to be very careful and pad the table, etc., but the patient can be lying in the same position for a period of time.... Then his PA (who was this little woman with blue eye shadow) told me that patients often ended up in very awkward positions as the surgeons try to wedge in the hardware, etc. She said they tried to be aware of the patient's position, but sometimes the patient would wake up with new aches. These things do go away after awhile though. After that, I always asked her all my questions because she was much more forthcoming than my surgeon!!

Even though you've heard this before, you have had a very BIG surgery -- you were out a long time and you have a long incision. You will need to be patient with your healing. It will take longer than you think it should. The important thing is to walk some every day, several times each day. Your job is to walk and rest, then walk and rest some more. Walking is what stretches out the spinal nerves and keeps scar tissue from attaching to the nerves. You don't need to go far...but try to do it a number of times each day. At first I would time my walking around my trips to the bathroom. I had surgery in Jan. and the roads were covered with ice and snow...so I walked in the house for months! Boring!!

As you mentioned, don't get cocky and end up overdoing it. You will eventually figure out how much you can do without doing too much...but it is hard at first. Just a little tip: you may find it easier to think about your progress in terms of weeks rather than days. When you ask yourself if you are better today than yesterday over and over again, it tends to get depressing. But, if you look at it week by week, you will see good progress.

Sounds like you came through things very well. The tough part is over and for now, just take it day by day....

Good luck.
  • Welcome Home, Sounds like your in good spirits and doing well. The incision on your back sounds normal. I have an incision on my stomach about 8 inches and my back is 14 inchs for my L2-S1 fusion. Glad to hear your back at home. Take care and don't do too much. This is the time to just eat and sleep. Did they give you a bone growth stimulator? Take care, Kevin
  • Thanks a bunch all.

I had an idea they must of been pretty rough. I guess when you think about it...if they had you padded up it would be like driving nails ontop of a rubber ball.

No bone growth stuff Kevin but I'll sure ask about it.
  • Thanks a bunch all.

I had an idea they must of been pretty rough. I guess when you think about it...if they had you padded up it would be like driving nails ontop of a rubber ball.

No bone growth stuff Kevin but I'll sure ask about it.
  • I am 1 month post op from L5-S1 360 fusion. I have my recliner(my throne) but like you I found it was to low. I stll cannot tolerate it or couch for longer than a few minutes. I moved a straight back kitchen chair to the living room,(actually my wife did) it was easier than trying to raise the recliner up. I can use my office chair at my computer too, but if you use one make sure the wheels lock or it is against something to keep it from moving. The last thing you need is a fall. I hope you continue to improve and listen to your body. Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps! God Bless

• Did your Dr tell you it was ok to sit for long periods of time. Normally they dont want you to sit unless eating or bathroom break.
  • Hi again,

Just thought I would add something folks. My Dad did indeed come up with a frame for my recliner to sit on which raises it about 6". It is absolutely terrific!!! I highly recommend it. When I recline back all the way it's almost like laying down so it's great for longer periods of time. The best thing is when I back up to it my bottom is already almost at the seat level and I hardly have to bend at all. It is truely the best gift anyone ever gave me.

Feeling pretty good today except for the aching thighs and left hip. My gosh does this hip hurt. I have to sort of swivel my leg way out to the side to sit at all. I just know they must have mashed that hip joint to get me where they want me. I'm sure it will pass though.

Anyway, a day at a time.....