Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8day latter sciatica from caugh

treadyttready Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi folks well this is my 8th day after fusion of l4 l5 i was doing grat no pain only takin paracetamol untill yesterday i woke up with a cough its a pritty bad one the sort that renches your lungs out,now because of coughing all day yesterday im in agony down my right leg sciatica for sure far worse than pre-op walking is a killer now any one else had this? thanks

• Hi tready,

I had an ALIF 7 days ago. It has already done wonders for my back pain and I am really pleased with the small horizontal access scar the vascular surgeon made it was originally going to be vertical until I got my way :)
    Anyway I do have a problem with constant horrible sciatica down the right leg, particularly when I lie on that side or sit or somehow 'stretch' the leg in any way. Its way way worse than pre-op. Steroids and neurontin haven't helped.
    I know you too have this sciatica issue and I wonder has anyone else found this problem and if so did it eventually settle down? I just hope the exiting spinal nerve root isn't caught up somewhere.
    Many thanks and good luck to you !

Age 37 female
    ALIF Oct 29 09 L4/L5
    Plastic fusing device/3 screws plus artificial bone graft
  • Haven't had surgery but just wanted to say I'd call your regular doc and get some cough syrup to quiet that cough. I can't imagine dealing with a deep cough right after fusion surgery.

COugh probably aggavated your surgery site so maybe place a call to your surgeon. Maybe a dose of steroids is in order (no doctor here, just guessing).

Hang in there -- could just be a couple of rough days and things may calm down.

Sending you some comforting and healing thoughts,