Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hello all, I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions, my name is Lisa. I am 27 years old and suffer from degenerative disc disease, moderate spinal stenosis and three herniated discs. This all started three months ago and is not getting any better. I was under the impression at first that it would get better with time, I found out today from yet another doctor that I had to go to, that indeed it will not get any better without surgery and then it's still a toss up as to how much better it will get. Therein lies the problem, I have no insurance so no neurosurgeon will even see me or help me in any way. My regular doctor does not believe in surgical intervention, he is old school and thinks that medicine and excercise fixes everything. So I am currently in constant pain some days are better than others but I have not be a day without pain the whole three months. When I get still either sitting or lying down for more than ten minutes I go numb from my waist down and have to have someone help me get back up. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Is there anything I can do to stop it? Also, has anyone had surgery for this type of problem and what was the outcome?

• hi and welcome to the forum. :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please, you have a long way to go before you head off to the operating room... you need to see a good pain management doctor, a pt and a good orthopedic surgeon. this group could give you a complete treatment plan using conservative measures before surgery... you should always give this is a try whenever your doctor says it is possible. gettting more than one opinion, especially when surgery is concerned, is very important!!! please think this over and give yourself some time to get better.. you have only been at this for 3 months.. there are many different modalities besides surgery many times... good luck!! please remember this is just my opinion, i am no doctor, just concerned about you and speaking from experience... Jenny also, look into "Teaching Hospitals" for treatment..
  • You are so young. I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with spine issues. Since you don't have insurance things can be challenging. I'm not sure if this government insurance would cover spine surgery but it may be worthwhile to check.

Good luck and keep coming back this is a great place for ideas.
  • Sorry the address didn't work so I copy pasted it after I got on the site

Hope this works better
  • That is alot going on to be so young but I am sure that you don't need me to tell you that. I am curious are you working? If you have any problems with your bladder or bowels please seek emergency treatment asap. It could be a sign of a more serious condition.