Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

unorthodox post-Microdiscectomy

cantacccantac Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So after waking up after my microdiscectomy at L5/S1, I was suprised to find out I had no stitches, and instead the incision was glued shut and covered with a regular band aid. I asked a couple times about stitches in my groggy state because I was so surprised. They repeated, nope no stiches.

I also asked about comfortable positions, they said no lying on your stomach. About sitting or otherwise they just said let pain be your guide. But need to walk around no matter if lying down or sitting, to avoid blood clots. Also, can drive after only 1 week.

Seems to be all the about is less conservative than I've read about anyone else's experiences with MicroD on here. Is there an even less intrusive form or the procedure that I'm not aware of? ?

• I didn't have any external stiches either...my site was glued together as well and covered with steri-strips. I'm 99% sure there were sutures on the inside though!

I think the idea of 'let pain be your guide' is that they don't want you to baby yourself too much...the sooner you start getting around and moving, the faster you will heal. Of course, don't try to be Superman/woman in the process. You will know what is too much.

Good luck in your recovery!
  • Cantac - I hope you are doing well after your MicroD. More often than not, doctors are using dermabond to close wounds. I was very happy to have them glue my incision closed after my fusion. I'm sure it's not as painful as I think, but the thought of having stitches or staples removed creeps me out :)

I hope you do well with your healing!
  • Micro D is a rather minimal surgery. I didn't have stitches either. I was up and feeling fairly great after mine. I have a bit of soreness for a few days, but that was about it. I hope you continue to recover well.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had mine endoscopically and I had 2 incisions with about 3 stitches in each one. I think that everyone is very different in the recovery stage. It may also depend on things like how much of the disc was removed. Mine was radical. I had the better portion of my disc removed and my recovery was not at all pleasant. I am glad to hear that you are doing well so far and I hope that your recovery continues well. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • MicroD here in July. Yep- I was glued as well.

Re: sitting and letting the pain be your guide... What I found was that my surgeon was the least 'careful' post-op with what he suggested I do movement/activity wise, my primary care physician a bit more cautious, and my physical therapist the most demanding of caution. I'm going with a mixture of the PCP (be careful, let things be your guide so that you don't become so guarded that you end up doing damage in the future because of that, but do not push yourself hard too quickly) and physical therapist (caution, work on things slowly, recognize that your anatomy has been changed, build on your activity- don't just jump it up). Also, I was told- by all 3- NO sitting for more than 15 minutes whatsoever for the first 2 weeks post-op.

Another thing I keep in mind is this: my PT told me that over the last 5-10 years, in her experience it is the discectomy patients that are THE most cautious for the first few weeks and the most diligent about their PT and making healthful decisions throughout the first 4-6 months that have the best long-term (well, in this case, 5-10 years) results. "If you push yourself now, you're going to regret it soon."

Good luck! Take care of yourself :-)