Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Methadone from 10 mg to 5 mg every 6 hours

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Medications
well I started on methadone 10 mg every 6 hours about a week ago. Havinh some bad side effects and wasn able to get into my dr today so he changed my dose to 5 mg every 6 hours. I am expecting a pain increase but is there any chance of withdrawing in such a short time on this med. After reading much about it I am worried about how hard it is to get off this stuff and I am hoping my dr will jusr take me off completley.

any advice would be appricated

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    1 week is too short a time to become addicted to anything. And youre only cutting back. Not quiting.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • i was on 10mg every 6 hrs for 10 days.made me sick dr put me back on hydro.never had any withdraws.
  • slowly on Methadone. I started on 5 mgs and did not increase for the first 2 weeks. It tends to stay in your system a very long time. I too was very sick when I first started taking it. I was desperate for some pain relief so I stuck with it. I used ginger for the nausea and it worked very well. The side effects only lasted for 2-3 weeks until my body adjusted to it. Don't give up on it yet though because I was amazed at how well it works for pain. I woke up one morning and about 80% of my pain was just gone. It was amazing! I would not worry about lowering the dose after only being on it for 1 week. You may just need to start very slowly like I did in order to adjust to the medicine. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
  • thanls to all who replied.

I never really got sick when I first started. The pain relief has been pretty good. Most relief I have had in a year plus. Some of the sideeffects I can look past some some I just can't. The shortness of breath, rash on my face, weird different colored film on my tongue, hard time going pee, and no sexual desire/things not working right I just can't get past.

I'm glad to here it will be a easy transition down to 5mg. I'm also on 3 hydros as needed for BT pain. Hopefully my dr will try something else again. Seems to be pretty good with trying different meds to find the right fit. I think I'm in love with this new dr. Alot better than my last dr.

thanks again

• It's already been covered, but after only 1 week on that med the reduction from 10s to 5s will be completely transparent to you. Enjoy the new doc.

• I started off on 20mg a day and now I'm up to 30 and I didn't have any significant side effects. I did have a hard time with pain until I was allowed to take BT meds and then the Methadone seemed to work better for me. I think it's a good medication because it's cheap and it has a long half life so it's convenient if you're going to stay on it on a long term basis.
  • Glad to see that some of you get pain relief from methadone, and I'm sorry that some are having problems with it. But like all medications, some can and some can't take certain drugs. I can't take vicoden, gives me hives. And I can't, or should I say won't, take pure oxycodone. That one messes with my head in some weird ways.
    My physiatrist is looking at putting me on methadone. He says it has properties that help with nerve pain, and that would be a good thing. I have a question for everyone that tried methadone. How does it compare to oxycodone? or morphine based drugs?
    Thanks for your help,
    Bobb Jo
  • Hmmm. I have been taking methadone for about 2 years now and I use oxcycodone for breakthrough pain. The Methadone stays in your system for a very long time and the percocet does not. The most notable difference that I see is that the methadone is way longer lasting so I get more level pain control. The oxycodone is fast acting so the pain control is up and down requiring more frequent dosing. The Methadone does not contain acetaminophen so it will not damage your liver and other organs with long term use like the oxycodone will. Morphine makes me so sick that I can barely stand it. It just does not agree with me at all. Methadone has really been a lifesaver for me as many other drugs either did not work or side effects were too severe. I hope that helped answer your question.
  • Well, the Methadone lasts much longer than Oxycodone of course, but I found that it works better if you take something like Oxy for BT pain. I take the pure Oxycodone 15mg tablets and it does make me a bit tired when I do. I think that Methadone works better than MS Contin/morphine because it's stronger and it doesn't make you tired and sleepy all the time like morphine. I had to take 180mg of MS ER and 60mg MS IR daily and I still had quite a bit of pain. Of course everyone is different and it may work for somebody else much better than it did for me.