Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Girth with SCS Trial

BrothersBBrothers Posts: 78
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I am preparing for an SCS trial in a few days -- packing luggage, actually, as we are going 180 miles by train to get to the hospital for the trial.

The nurse said to wear loose-fitting clothing such as sweat pants. OK, but what size? :? I don't know of a reason that my girth should increase as a result of percutaneous lead implantation for a trial. Can someone enlighten me on that? I suppose that implanting the IPG permanently in a subcutaneous pocket could cause some swelling, but for the trial I would not expect a change in waist size. Am I wrong?

• You will have a lot of tape and wires. You will have a belt holding the IPG around your waist. Wear very comfy pants and a roomy shirt. A zip up would be great.

Good luck,

• You're right. Do not expect a change in girth. This is all very exciting. Are you coming home right after the trial or are you staying at a hotel? Depending on the amount of scar tissue you have, the trial could hurt a lot OR it could not hurt much at all. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Much, much good luck to you. I know you have a great doctor. I hope the SCS helps. Susan
  • You are going to be sore and tender and you do not want anything tight such as belt rubbing you. I would not say your girth will change, you just do not want to irritate your back by a tight belt. A sweat suit sounds perfect. You do not want anything snug across your back and waist.
    Best of luck..
    Patsy W
  • Wear loose clothing and stop over thinking it.

• Thanks for your replies to this mundane question.

Hotel, Susan. I expect to bug the ANS rep several times to tweak the program.
  • Good luck on your trial! I think that your normal size sweatpants would be fine as long as they have some give to them. I wouln't go buying a bigger pair just for the trial. Do take advantage of the rep as much as possible. Also, don't forget that for the tria the stimulation will be very positional, but you won't have this issue if you decide to get the permanent implant which makes a difference. I know how nervous I was before the trial but even if you have pain it will be very short lived.

If you have any other questions please feel free to send me a PM. :)

• Lord have mercy on your rep. I hope he knows every single detail of every single part of the system. LOL. I went to work during my trial, so I wore my regular clothes (business suits, etc.). I hope you're staying at a nice hotel and that you (and your wife?) go out for a nice meal and a little sightseeing while you are there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Susan p.s. If you do go out for a nice meal, ditch the sweatpants.