Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

VAX therapy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm Dixiejo and am new to this group, looking forward very much to learning from others.
Recently, I had 2 back surgeries - kyphoplasties. While they stabilized the 4 vertebrae, it also left me with 1 vertebra leaning into and compressing the spinal cord, a 30% reduced spinal canal in that area (stenosis) and also levescoliosis.
I also have 9 herniated disks, DDD, arthritis and fibro.
Am allergic to all NSAIDs. Just started using Forteo.
But the surgeries left me weak as a newborn kitten and with a lot of pain. The people at rehab therapy say they don't know what they can do to help me. My doc says no PT because of my risk of fractures. I do not have osteoporosis.
I'm at a loss for what I can do and don't live near top facilities.
I read about something called VAX therapy on the web, and am wondering if anyone has tried it and what their opinion is of it.
Any ideas of comments most welcome.

• of the VAX decompression therapy, but I have never tried it. I've seen a few posts from people who have tried it and gotten some relief and some who have tried it and felt worse. i suppose it all depends on your situation and what your doc says.

All the best to you,
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Before you consider VAX D I recommend you discuss it with the person who did your kyphoplasty and anyone else you've been treating with such as the physical therapist.

If your physical therapist has said PT is not an option then VAX D may not be either as it is a form of cyclical traction and pulling action could be harmful to the area that underwent kyphoplasty and other discs and/or vertebrae. If you have any spinal hardware (pins, plates, screws, rods, etc) then VAX D is not an option.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I tried Vax-D when I'd hit the "it's either this or surgery" point. I know that there are people that do benefit from it, but myself- it made me worse, at least for a few months. My round of scheduled treatments was 20 sessions, but I only got through 10 before my Primary doc (who had suggested I try Vax-D before going to the knife) and I decided to end it. I wasn't receiving any benefit whatsoever and my hip and back started having new flare-ups and new pain radiation issues.

Mine is a disappointing story, because of course I wish it had helped me as it has others. But then again- there are cases where things do turn out a lot worse than when started. And I agree with the others- since you've already had trauma to your spine in the form of surgery, you're likely running a higher risk from trying it out. Talk with surgeons, neuros, etc., and get their input.