Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 days post-op

DIFerrisDDIFerris Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone!

I thought I would pop on and give an update on how I am progressing.

I am still doing extremely well. I do have some ups and downs, but for the most part I feel great. I had a bad evening a couple of days ago after riding in the car to my doctor appointment and sitting there then riding back (it is a 45 minute ride). That was to be expected, though. It didn't help that I forgot to take a pain pill with me and was overdue. That put me behind the pain and it took me until the next morning to get back ahead of it.

I started physical therapy this week. The therapist comes in twice a week. I had 2 sessions this past week and will see her twice a week for the next 3 weeks or so. I also have a nurse that comes in. She was here once this past week and will also be coming twice a week. I am walking as much as possible, but the doctor and the nurse told me to take it easy with that. The street I live on is not level, so I am just walking around the house as much as possible. I am also doing the exercises that the physical therapist is giving me.

As far as medication, I am still taking Dilaudid - 8 mg every 4 hours and 2 mg every 4 hours for breakthrough. I thought I was not going to be able to continue on this medication, which made me panic (I have a very high tolerance to pain medication and nothing else I have taken over the years has helped at all). My pain management doctor said in a month we can come up with a plan to slowly wean me down to a lower dose and then maybe off completely some time after that. This is the only medication that works for me, so I want to make sure they don't wean me off of it too soon. He agrees with that. He told me that this is definitely not the time to be worrying about stopping... I am only a little over a week after a rough surgery.

All in all, I am doing so much better than I envisioned I would be at this stage. I don't have any complaints. I do remember to do exactly what I am supposed to do and nothing else (it's so easy to overdue when feeling so good). Watching a lot of TV, and reading a lot right now.

That is about it for me. I read everyone's posts, and although I don't reply a lot - I am thinking of everyone and hoping everything goes well.

Would love to hear back from you all!

• Great to hear you are doing so well so soon out a MAJOR over-haul! Don't get carried away, keep resting & walking as you can....sounds like you are doing everything right. But remember, this is a long recovery & a long process, etc. Nothing after a fusion happens quickly...it's like no other surgery, it just takes what seems forever to feel normal.

I agree, re dilaudid: it is simply the best. I also, as you write, had no relief from anything else. I was also on quite a lot of it right after surgery, as you are, & my NS suggested the same thing: take it now b/c you need it, then taper off as you can. I was on about the same as you for 3-4 months, then titrated down to 2 mg every 4-6 hrs for awhile & then down from that @ about 6 months. I still need it PRN (at almost 2 years out) but it sure does the trick, doesn't it.

Again, great to hear you are doing well! Hope you continue to mend "uneventfully" as they say. Remember to GO SLOW, rest a lot, eat lots of protein to heal those muscles & walk walk walk. (gently!)

~ Lakeside
  • I am THRILLED to hear you are doing so well and that your Dr is working with you to met your needs :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi Deanna,

It is good to hear the positive things. I also feel like I'm doing pretty good. I just wish these people weren't so conservative with the meds. I left the hospital with a prescription for 5mg percocets - 2 every 4 hours and it has actually been working ok. Then I call to get a refill. When I pick it up the instructions now say 2 every 8 hours. The nurse also told me that will be it for the percs and then back to a low dose vicodin. I just don't see the hurry at just over 1 week post op. Anyway, I'll keep plugging on right along with ya. Good luck!

- Bob
  • Hi, I am new to this site and I am going in for my 2 level fusion on 11/18. I am starting to get paniced about it all. I also have a high tollerance and I am afraid that they will not be able to control my pain. I just have to breath and know that this is hopefully the means to the end of constant pain!!! Seeing your post gave me hope that it will be ok!!
  • I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. It's good to know they won't try to wean you off your medication too soon. Recovery is hard enough without having to worry about that. Keep up the good work!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Deanna - I'm SO glad to hear that you are doing well AND that you are still sticking to the LAW of recover (not overdoing it)!

Keep up the good work girl!

and WELCOME Sheilee - if you need anything just post - there's lots of good people here to help you through it all.
  • Glad to hear they gave you your meds to keep you comfotable. Also glad to see that you are letting others help you. It is better to be helped now than have problems later. Hope you have a good weekend. Been thinking of ya..Take care Love Robin
  • When my surgeon would not write another prescription for the Dilaudid, I was very happy that his associate (that I am seeing for following ups in the Hudson Valley office) was willing to work with me and understood this was not the time to worry about changing medication. For me, it is one less thing to worry about during this early stage of my recovery and a sigh of relief that I don't have to deal with more pain right now trying to adjust medication.

All, thank you for sharing your experiences with me, and for the encouragement.

Bob, I think percocet was what my surgeon wanted to switch me to... I have taken that on 2 or 3 other separate occasions and it did nothing for me. Then to have them turn around and lower the dose! Wow. I would not be happy about that for sure!

Sheilee, welcome and good luck with your upcoming surgery. You have found the best place to be when going through what we all are.

I am thinking about you, too, Robin! I hope you are doing well in your recovery from the last surgery.

Here's to a good week for us all!

• Hi Deanna

So happy that you're doing well and that your surgeon's associate is happy to work with you and not changing your meds at this early stage.

Keep being totally committed to your recovery and I'm sure that unrelenting pain will be a thing of the past.

Take care

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008