Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronology of Sciatic Pain Recovery?

cantacccantac Posts: 24
How do you know if your sciatic pain is clearing up after a discectomy? Do your numb areas first go to pain and then normal? I had a miscrodiscectomy 2 days ago and parts of my foot which were numb, are now starting to become painful on the surface. When sciatica clears up from numbness is it supposed to just clear up or go through a pain phase first?

My hypothesis:

Sciatica beginnings:
1. No sciatica -> 2. pain ->3 3. numbness/weakness, with or without pain.

Therefore I'd conjecture that:
To clear up sciatic numbness, the stages would be:

1. Numb/weak -> 2. pain -> 3. no sciatica present.

Any expert knowledge on this subject?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    can generally be the first one to surface. But nerve pain is generally always the last to subside.
    There are so many variables it almost impossible to outline a 'standard' course.
    With some of my Lumbar surgeries, the nerve pain was the very last to get better. I had good results in many of my lumbar surgeries, I regained strength, etc,
    However, the nerve pain did not get better until almost 9 months after the initial problems. I also still have some permanent nerve damage, a result of disc impingement on a nerve root too long, waiting too long for surgery and a very long surgical procedures.
    Its so hard to 'bookcase' spinal problems. What may be true for one person, is the not valid for another person.

Using your words:
    1. Numb/weak -> 2. pain -> 3. no sciatica present.

- Surgery
    - Weakness, then recovery
    - Pain Reduction
    - Through Medication, Physical Therapy, etc
    - No Sciatica pain
    - ?

My last lumbar surgery was in 1984, I still am bothered by sciatica.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com