Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

backpain advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what i can do with my back problem?

It all started about 5-6 years ago when I started to notice a stiffness in the lower back. This gradually got worse to the point where if I made any sudden movements I would get a severe sharp stabbing pain to the right of my lower spine, this pain could knock me to the floor at times. As time wore on I started to be able to pinpoint where the sharp pain was.

This pain is now constant and is to the right of my lower spine. I am also getting pain on my right thigh and in my right testicle( Had that checked for any lumps etc), this pain is worse when I am sitting (not that I sit a lot as I cannot put up with the pain). I have been told that it is something to do with my QL muscle. I have been to a few Chiropractors and nothing has seemed to work. The Dr keeps telling me to take painkillers, which is not going to help me at all. I managed to have an x-ray which only showed up wear and tear, so I am told.

I am currently going to physiotherapy once a week and this is not helping at all. I am gradually getting worse and I feel if I continue the way I am going I will not be able to continue to go to work.

One of the Chiro's said I had leg length issues and I was adjusted to make legs level. I also did core strengthening exercises and my muscles held out and my leg length stayed the same. The Chiro was unsure what was wrong with me. QL muscle and Facet joints were mentioned, along with my pelvis beign slightly twisted, but to be honest I am a little lost off.

I am 35 yrs old and I am missing my children growing up as I cannot take part in much.

I would appreciate any advice, and I could try to explain further my problems if anyone wanted to know.




  • I would suggest you look for a fellowship-trained spinal specialist. This can be either a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic spinal surgeon who devote their practice to issues of the back and neck. You will probably need a MRI to find out what's going on. X-rays do not show soft tissue and would not reveal a disc problem and many other issues as well.

    Chiropractors are good for some issues, but I think you are probably wasting a lot of time if you don't have a proper diagnosis. If this is a disc issue and there is nerve compression, a chiropractor could make the situation worse, rather than better.

    I regret wasting a year listening to my internist telling me everything on my MRI looked "fine for someone my age." At that time I didn't know to request a copy of the MRI and of the radiology report, so I just took him at his word and kept doing what he suggested. The first spinal specialist I went to spent about two minutes with me and then sent me across the hall for flexion X-rays. He then could see within minutes what was wrong and that the only thing that would help my pain was to have a fusion. So I went from thinking nothing was wrong to being told a fusion was the only option. I wish I had gone straight to the spinal specialist. It would have saved me a lot of years spent in pain, time, money, etc.

    Good luck. Sounds like you might want to stop PT for now until you actually know what is wrong.


  • Thanks for the reply.

    I have stopped the physiotherapy and they are going to try acupuncture on me. This is the next step to being referred to a spinal surgeon and an MRI scan.

    I will just have to see what happens during the next few weeks.

  • I'm a bit surprised that the chiro was unable to find the problem yet mentioned uneven leg length.
    You can get that when a pelvic joint is either loose or locked up, and the pelvis doesn't sit right with the spine.
    Pain is as you describe.
    Pain killers hardly make a dent.
    An x-ray or MRI of the area should pick it up.
    Or try a different chiro, and tell him what you suspect it is.
    I get that very frequently when I twist my lower back too much, and one of the pelvic joints locks up.
    The chiro fixes it up immediately with a forceful treatment. Painless though!
  • I am with Gwennie on this one. You need a diagnosis. With the referred pain to your thigh and groin, you may have nerve compression. The longer spinal nerves are compressed, the more damage can occur. Over time, some of the damage can become permanent.

    For your reference, here is a map of the areas affected by spinal nerves from the lumbar discs: http://www.backpain-guide.com/Chapter_Fig_folders/Ch06_Path_Folder/4Radiculopathy.html

    Best to you,

  • AND MRI SCAN /CAT SCAN would be a good idea .but have you tried a good quality TENS ? it wont get rid of your pain but it may help reduce it .as for pain killers go and see you doctor and get some stronger ones..ice and heat may help .but get yourself a scan and dont take no for an answer you need to get a firm diagnosis ..as we all know on here constant pain from your back is the worst thing so feel free to ask any questions you will find many people on here willing to help
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.