Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just when I thought I was doing pretty good

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my surgery in January I had been feeling pretty good til recently. I thought it was the cold (I was having some pain on the right side of my neck where I have never had pain its always been on the left side and that is where they operated on) I saw my Ortho who suggested I see the surgeon (I have an appt for Monday). But last night something new (well really something old) I started getting muscle spasms on my left side while I was sleeping and I mean from my head to my toes was in spasm. I had this before the surgery but it has never happened since. The spasms shoot down my arm and my legs...and up to my head. The pain was unbelievable it felt like I had never had surgery. Today I still feel it I know tonight is going to be the same. If I didn't have this appt I would of been in the ER last night.

So I guess I am just venting and looking for answers any one ever have this happen?? I am going to try some ice tonight and see if I can stand it...I am not sure what else would help for spams any thoughts?? I did put my soft collar to see if that would help but no help...

Thanks for any and all help!

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I know how you feel, I have had some strange new episodes after my cervical fusion in 2007. I hope everything works out for you and your Dr appointment
    goes well. Try not to worry and put extra stress on yourself.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that you are having these pains and muscle spasms. It can be so scary to start feeling this way after surgery. Although my problem is my lumbar I know what it's like to start having pain and spasms and new pain after surgery. I started having the pain return and now is worse about 3 months after my lumbar fusion. It's so frustrating when you take the risk to have the surgery and then start having issues. I truly hope it's nothing serious and that the doc gives you some good news on Monday. Keep us posted.
  • So I go to the surgeon he took some xrays doesn't see much but maybe a little narrowing at one of the levels (never said which) so now he has ordered a mylogram. I have just two comments (now I am going to vent) why is it that these Drs make it seem like we are drug addicts when all we are looking for is some relief. I said I need something to sleep well you should see your ortho Dr I said I did he sent me to you so now I am in the middle of this vicious circle and I am the one in pain, I said I am not leaving here with out something for pain and the muscle spasms. He saw that I wasn't kidding and wrote me a perscription for Valium and Vicodin. I don't understand why we have to go through this. I have not had a prescription from this man in over 7 months its not like I am there every week looking for pills....OK so no I feel better. My second comment is what is a mylogram like he said its a cat scan and they put some dye in your back?? Does it hurt.....Thanks for listening...
  • Hey Libby,

I just had a myelogram last week was the third one I have had. Actually the test itself isn't to bad depending on what is wrong. They will insert a needle more than likely into your lumbar region with some dye that goes in the subachrondrial space. Once, that is complete you will be laying a table that moves. The radiologist will then tilt the table to have the dye move towards your cervical region. Once the dye reaches this area they will begin taking pictures should last about 15-20 minutes depending on what segments have been ordered. They will also position your head in such a fashion as to get a clear view. I myself since I am a three level fusion find that position a bit difficult. I won't say the test is pain less, but to find out what is wrong is worth it in my eyes. Sometimes they will also do a CT following the test while the dye is still there, as well. Once the test is over you will be asked to lay flay with your head at I believe a 45 degree angle(not sure exactly). Once they are sure your vitals are all good you will leave and spend the remainder of the day laying flat. I do caution you that you stay laying flat. There is a headache that can develop, and it is not like any headache it is brutally painful and sometimes spinal patches have to be done(had one after a lumbar block). The following day you can be up and around but shouldn't do anything to heavy and the third day you are good to go.

The myelogram will have the best look at your cord and the surrounding nerve roots. Also since you have a fusion they can get a better look at the fusion itself. I am glad they surgeon gave you a script for valium as it is the only muscle relaxer that works with myelogram. How long will you have to wait to get the results following the procedure? Anyway hope this helps and keep us posted.
  • I am afraid of the headache because a long time ago I had to have a spinal tap and I did develop the headache and it was the worst pain I have ever had. So I will be careful. They were supposed to call me and schedule the myelogram and the follow up with the Dr but as usual no one called. I'll call them tomorrow! Thanks
  • Have you had the mylogram yet? I hope it went well and you had no headache from it. Are you still in pain? What did the mylogram show? Hope it was good news.
  • They are still waiting for the insureance to approve it before they schedule it. And yes the pain is there but its bearable at this point....Just waiting.
  • I have my myelogram and CT Scan scheduled for 11/24...I have a question the womand at the Dr office said it takes about 4 hours....Does anyone know does it really take that long???
  • Hi Libby,

That sounds about right on the time. The test it self takes maybe a half hour or so. But that time includes the time they will have you rest to be sure you have no effects of the dye. Also following the test they like for you to lay flat so that maybe the time they are adding into it. I actually had someone drop me off then just called them when I was ready to be picked up. Be sure that the remainder of the day you are laying down. So make sure you don't have any plans the rest of the day.