Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl Patch

marks107mmarks107 Posts: 89
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Medications
Hi everyone!I'm new to the forum and have a question.I have been prescribed fentanyl 25 mcg and I'm having trouble with them staying on.Is it safe to use medical tape?I've also heard Mylan will send covers if you contact them but I can't seem to figure out how to contact them.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks and I hope all are having a pain free weekend! Mark

• My mom uses Fentanyl patches and we often have to use tape to keep them on... When we asked the pharmacist, he said to "just make sure not to get the tape over the medicine part" Most of her patches have a small plain rim around the edge so it's easy.

I'd say check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure you can do it!

• I had a similar type of Fentanyl patch as Clandy's mom, but, didn't have any problems w/ patches staying stuck. Just made sure that my skin was clean/dry and lotion free. I also put them on areas where there wasn't a lot of motion - between my shoulders just under the nape of the neck or high up on the butt cheeck (about 3" down from the waist). Hope this helps.
  • I normally don't have any problems with my patches sticking, but I got a bum box of patches several months ago and not a single one wanted to stay put. I happened to have a doctor's appointment the day the second patch from that box fell off me and mentioned it to my doctor.

He gave me a prescription for Flonase (the stuff you spray up your nose for allergies) and said right before I was going to change my patch, spray it on the skin where I planned to place the new patch and let it dry completely. Then, put the patch on like I normally would. I have no idea why, but the Flonase worked like a charm!

If you're having trouble consistently with the patches not sticking, it might be worth bringing up with your doctor. It's always surprising what kind of totally oddball solutions they can offer - like nose spray! :))(
  • Hi and welcome to the boards Mark :)

I too use Fentanyl - it took me a few tries to get this right.

I clean the area the patch will go with rubbing alcohol
    allow it to dry - apply the patch - firmly hold the patch in place with the palm of my hand to the count of 60.

I now use covers after that process. However before I got my covers I used tape around the edges ONLY. You don't want to put it over the med area of the patch.

The covers can be costly and I never could get the drug company to send me covers.

I get mine from ebay - here is a link I am currently buying more from - make SURE your cover is a little larger then your patch.

I usually buy in lots so that I have several months supply of these.

I swim - shower etc with these on and have no problems.

Hope this helps :)

PS: Also wash & dry your hands well before and after applying the patch.
    I did not wash after putting a patch on one time and ate a cookie right afterwards and was very sick for about 12 hrs :&
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • It depends on the brand you are using, but some of the fentanyl patches have a rim around the edge where you can stick paper medical tape usually works better than others or you can cover the patch with a bioclusive cover often called tegaderm. You can buy them on ebay cheaper than you can purchase them in the pharmacy or nexcare also makes a similar cover that you can buy in the pharmacy but they are a bit more expensive. Around 15.00 for 10.....
    The tegaderm type patches work really well and it is not a big deal to cover the part of the patch that contains the medication unless it is the patch where the fentanyl is in the adhesive, then you have to be careful not to put the cover on the wrong side.
  • Thank you all for the replies they were very helpful.I look forward to being here and communicating with you all.If there is anything I can do to help you all in any way just let me know. Mark
  • Being me, I can't help but mention that the package insert with Fentanyl patches specifically advises against using alcohol to clean the site prior to placing the patch.
    DURAGESIC® (fentanyl transdermal system) should be applied to intact, non-irritated, and non-irradiated skin on a flat surface such as the chest, back, flank, or upper arm. In young children and persons with cognitive impairment, adhesion should be monitored and the upper back is the preferred location to minimize the potential of inappropriate patch removal. Hair at the application site should be clipped (not shaved) prior to system application. If the site of DURAGESIC® application must be cleansed prior to application of the patch, do so with clear water. Do not use soaps, oils, lotions, alcohol, or any other agents that might irritate the skin or alter its characteristics. Allow the skin to dry completely prior to patch application.

• My patch was having issues sticking to me and someone here said about using the alcohol swabs and presto success for me lol

I do allow the alcohol to dry completely - so far no problems.

Mark I also wanted to add this just in case. I put my 3rd patch ( ever ) above my belly button and that too made me quite ill.

It seems me and some other members here can not go above this spot on our bodies or it makes us sick to the stomach.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • The reason I brought up the alcohol specifically is because with the exception of the Mylan generic and the newer Duragesic name brand, alcohol is mixed with the fentanyl in the reservoir to make the medication flow better.
    While there is variation in dose delivered among patients, the nominal flux of the systems (12.5, 25, 50, 75, and 100 mcg of fentanyl per hour) is sufficiently accurate as to allow individual titration of dosage for a given patient. The small amount of alcohol which has been incorporated into the system enhances the rate of drug flux through the rate-limiting copolymer membrane and increases the permeability of the skin to fentanyl.
    In the "system components" section of the prescribing information, it says only .2ml of alcohol is released by the system. Knowing the amounts they reference are so incredibly small, my concern would be that skin may absorb enough of the alcohol, while it's drying, to impact the flow of the fentanyl.

It seems to me that the effect of the alcohol could be achieved without the possible risks by using other types of astringent solutions. The most basic one would be a 1:1 mixture of water and plain white vinegar. Other "natural" possibilities would be lemon juice, grapefruit seed extract, or witch hazel mixed with water.

Those mixtures could even be kept in a small spray bottle in the bathroom and sprayed on the upcoming patch site, then wiped off or rinsed off in the bath/shower as part of the normal hygiene routine for the 3 days prior to putting the patch on. That would remove and prevent the natural oils from building up to begin with, allowing the patch site to be cleaned effectively with just clear water on the day patch is applied, just as the directions suggest.

But anyway.. knowing how little fentanyl it takes to upset the proverbial applecart, I try to avoid any increase risk with the patches... so that's just my babble on the safety topic for tonight, for what it's worth.. :B

• Thank you Bionicwoman, for all the great information.Thank you everyone,I really enjoy this board.I'm having a bad pain day and being here getting all your insite really helps! Thanks again. Hope everyone is doing as well as possible. Mark
  • Yes, My thanks to you as well - I never would have thought of it like that. My appreciation for you explaining it so well :)

Vinegar it shall be from now on ;)

• Hi, I've been on Fentanyl for two years now, and my dosage has stayed the same. What doses do they come in? My pain is so much worse in the winter and I want to ask the Dr. to increase them.

Thanks, Donna :H
  • Individual patches come in 12.5, 25, 50, 75, and 100mcg. By using a combination of 2 patches, you can also get 37.5, 62.5, 87.5, 112.5, 125, 150, and 175mcg.