Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Grrrr! It NEVER ENDS *oh and im back =)*

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 549
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Medications
Hey y'all! Im back! Misses you all sooo much! Can't wait to hear how everyone has been...

Now, my topic =)

MY MEDS WERE STOLEN!!!! Really i just don't know what to do! Suggestions please... here's the story:

I had been living with my mother for a few months. Every month i would wind up short on my meds. First 3 days short... Then finally one month 50 pills short! So I have no idea who was dipping in the meds... but considering i had a 15 year old sister living with me, i bought a padlock for my big lock box, and put it in there... problem solved

I recently moved into a new house, with my cousin as my new roommate. She suffers similar back issues as me, and we spend lots of time sharing horror stories about our conditions.

My current medications are:
Norco 10/325mg 3x a day
Soma 350mg 2x a day
Klonopin 1mg 2x a day
Topomax 25mg 1x a day *new
Baclofen 20mg 3x a day *new

My doctor would like me to change over to baclofen from soma. And says that the topomax when taken daily will reduce nerve constriction which in turn will prevent migraine, back/hip pain (thats a whole other thread)

So Thursday night i was having major panic/anxiety/rage issues (i believe intensified by new meds) I got in a fight with my little sister, took a klonopin, and left. For the rest of the night, i was WAY out of it. Falling asleep out of nowhere... (even while going to the bathroom) The next morning, just as bad. I even blacked out. I got my 3 morning pills out of my room, sat on the couch with them in my hand, and fell asleep. When i woke back up, i looked in my hand, and only had 2.

I searched around the floor, and couldn't find the 3rd pill. Figured i must have never taken it out of the bottle in the first place. All day at work Friday, i kept nodding off... any time i let my eyes close for more than a split second, i was asleep. I decided to count my pills when i got home, just to make sure i didn't lose that one. I had only taken the med for 6 days... so i should have had around 24 pills. I had ELEVEN. I went and counted all my other pills... 30 Klonopin missing, and about 10 Norco.

My cousin said that when i left, she went outside to smoke, so my little sister was in the house alone for a while. What do i do? Im really scared that she or some other kid is going to get really hurt. They dont even know what Topomax is. If she had ANY IDEA how terrible it made me feel, she wouldnt have taken it. Its not really top on the list of hot pills to take is it?

Thank goodness i decided to stop taking the topomax, and the rest of my pills were in my purse. I cant go to my doctor and tell her my pills were stolen. And what happens if some kid gets hurt? Should i report this to the police?

• First off, yes you should file a police report. That is the safest thing for you and the best in the long run for whoever stole your meds.

I was looking at your new list of meds and have a question. Is your doc starting you right out at 60mg a day of Baclofen? That's a very high dose to start with and can easily cause you to fall asleep or blackout.

Sorry you are feeling bad enough that you once again need our support, but glad we're able to be here for you!

• Awww C, I've always needed your support darlin =) hehe... Just been living with limited internet access till now.

I thought that about the dose too. I called the doctor on Friday, and the nurse was shocked at the dose. The thing is, I didn't have much problem tolerating it until I took the klonopin Thursday night. I was half narcoleptic for about 36 hours- till this morning. Even today, I fell asleep with my face hanging over my bowl of cereal. Never once did I even feel tired. I'm working as an appointment setter, and had to stand all day Friday, cause I was falling asleep on the phone... it was BRUTAL.
  • The biggest drug problem with teenagers is
    prescription pills. Having had this problem with my own children, my suggestion is that you tell your sister that you have noticed your pills are missing, are hoping it is not her who is taking them, and that you have to file a police report. You may have trouble getting your medications refilled. It's awful that you have to worry about your medications being stolen. It's a good idea to keep them under lock and key.

Best wishes to you,

• hi!! :H from what i understand you fell asleep or passed out with the pills in your hand or the box open or what happen you aren't really clear about.. :? i would not call the police about this unless you need it for your doctor. i would tell everyone in the house what happened, missing meds and you are not sure who took them. i have done strange things with my meds under those conditions, that is why i would not report them stolen this time.. then, once again, under lock and key!!! =D> and if it happens again i would file a police report. she is your sister and she deserves a warning and "sisterly help!!! she is not a criminal yet!! too often we are too quick to jump to the old police report!! and to what end now, except to alienate your sister or cousin who may be having problems and needs your help!!!!get your meds cleared up with your doc so you aren't passing out anymore...then you really do know what happened!! just a few of my thoughts, :? Jenny :)
  • Both Topomax and Baclofen need to be tapered very slowly. It may have been that the 20 mg of baclofen per dose was too much, and the 25 mg of topomax is the standard starting dose. When I started baclofen, I was taking 5 mg a day for a few days and then slowly increasing by 5 mg every few days until I reached the new dose that my doctor prescribed for me.
    As far as the missing meds go, both times that you have had them come up missing, your sister has been there. I am not saying that she took them but am saying that maybe it is time for a frank discussion with her about the dangers of prescription meds. Any med is in danger of being taken by teenagers depending on what reaction they are looking for in their bodies.
    I would file the report with the police and I would tell everyone that I was doing it. It may very well wake up whomever is taking your meds and put a stop to it, and also offer you some protection with your doctor.
  • Yes... the good old lock box. Thought i was beyond that, having moved into my own home (ha!) I hear there is a nice digital/key combo safe at a local store. I'll be heading there on Friday.
  • I Had my morning meds in my hand, and fell back asleep on the couch. Woke up less one pill. Later that night, when i counted, is when i realized i was about 20 short. So i went and counted my other meds, all of which were short as well. I suppose its possible I was that much out of it that i dont know what i did with them, but my husband is pretty good at keeping an eye on me when it comes to taking my meds... etc. And idk where nearly 60 pills from at least 3 different bottles would have gone...

I think to be safe, im going tomorrow to file a report. Im really on the fence about it. If they could prove my sister did it FANTASTIC cause maybe then she would learn her lesson. And i really want to make sure my butt is covered all the way around... in case ANYTHING HAPPENS. i dont want it coming back on me. On the other hand, i really dont want to bring any trouble on my own family you know? I dont think my mom is mentally strong enough to handle it. Anytime i bring it up to someone in my family, they all say.... no no no... dont do that. The police will blow it WAY out of proportion! Idk what to do. I really dont.