Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/5 ALIF - nearly 3 weeks post-op

trishdownunderttrishdownunder Posts: 971
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone

I'm doing so much better than I thought I would and it's WONDERFUL to be able to walk without pain - yaaay.

I found walking outside the house, I tended to go too far and started having pain in my left hip and stiffness at the op site, so have found it better to do lots of walking up and down my patio, which is wide. I've got a beautiful rose garden and my house backs onto a creek, so it's quite picturesque and not boring walking up and down.

I can't sit for too long and feel cramped, and that's why I haven't been regular here for the last couple of weeks. It's not the op site but higher up where I've got a scoliosis. I'd love to be able to do the stretching exercises I used to do to help this, but I don't think that would be a good idea. I should be driving soon, so think I'll make an appointment to see my physio. In the meantime, I'm doing the exercises that the hospital physio gave me.

I'm trying to wean myself off the Oxycontin and find it hardest at night when I have to lie still and try to sleep. My legs are so restless and I toss and turn all night. Last night and tonight I've cut an Oxycodone tablet in half and I hope I can get comfortable enough to sleep.

My pot belly is now getting smaller and softer but not sure if it'll go back to what it was, but that doesn't matter - much to better to have had the surgery and be out of pain.

Another bit of good news - I've gained 1.1/2" in height and I can stand up straight. Crikey, I needed the extra height and now I'm 4'10. 1/2".

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
ALIF L4/5 2009
Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008

• That is great news! I'm glad to hear that you are gaining more and more relief from your surgery. I would be afraid to gain much more height myself, since I am already pushing the 6' zone. 3 weeks post op is still very early on and don't push it too hard. I bet you find in no time that walking places other than your patio will be do-able. Don't push it on trying to sit, it will come when it's time.

Here's something I did post op when I was restricted from sitting for 30 days. In order to use my computer, I tilted the screen upwards, placed a box in my computer chair on top of that I placed my keyboard and mouse. So I could stand there and check the computer and write a few emails and walk around the house to ease the stress build up in my back. It worked out great and kept me from wanting to sit down to check the computer.

Best wishes,

• Lovely to hear from you Trish. It's great to hear things are going so well for you. Keep up the good work!
  • Thanks C and Jen.

That's a good suggestion C. Coz I'm only little, I can stand up and type leaving the keyboard on the desk, but hadn't thought of doing that; so going to do it now.

Going to have a rest now.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
  • I am so glad to hear that things are only getting better and better. You've been through such a major surgery that's amazing that you can stand up so straight and I can't believe how much it can change your height. I wonder how much mine will change my height. I feel like I've gotten so short but I'm still 5'6. Do they recommend treadmills at all? It's getting cold here in the NW so I'm not looking forward to ice and snow after my surgery. Nice that your weather is still pleasant. Take care and rest up. I know that I've taken Hydroxizine when they wanted me to stretch out my pills but it can make you sleep but then you don't need as many oxy. Happy healing.
  • You're lucky being 5'6" - I used to be just over 5' and then shrunk.

So far a treadmill hasn't been recommended - perhaps that's what they'll recommend for you because you won't be able to get outside and walk. I find walking the best because it seems to loosen up the whole body. I'm standing as I'm typing now - I put a couple of telephone books under the keyboard - better than sitting, but then I'll have to go for another walk soon.

I'll ask the doctor about the Hydroxizine when I see him soon. At the moment I wouldn't mind sleeping a bit more, especially in the day when I'm a little bored (that'll pass I know) LOL.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
  • How are you Trish? We haven't seen you around for a while. I hope everything's going ok for you. Would love an update!