Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C8 compression and latissimus pain

jchebert1979jjchebert1979 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I will be having a foraminotomy at C7-T1 in a week or so. While I know the nerve is causing a lot of pain in certain areas I have gotten resistance from doctors to agree that it is causing pain in other areas.

I have a lot of pain in my latissimus muscle that makes it difficult to breath. The lat is innervated by C8 so it makes sense to me that it could be painful because of the compression.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any input would be appreciated.

• I'm going to reply to my own post in hopes that it will help someone else because I have answered my own question.

I am about 5 hours post-op from a C7-T1 fusion and the SEVERE pain in my lat area that made it extremely difficult to breath is COMPLETELY gone. I'm up and walking around the hospital with relative ease.

I decided to proceed with a fusion because according to the discogram I not only had radicular pain but also discogenic pain. The foraminotomy would have done nothing for the discogenic pain.

This is my third spine surgery this year and I have never felt this good so soon post op. I truly believe that this has been the major pain generator all along. Even though I am relatively young for a fusion, this level does not see as much movement as higher levels of the spine, so I am not as much concerned with adjacent level degeneration.

For those of you struggling I know that you may be sick of hearing this, but do not give up. No doctor believed that this herniation was causing the pain that it was causing. I was in near suicidal levels of pain and had to fight doctors for over two years for this. I was in so much pain that for the first year I could not talk or even cry out for help most days. Every day I had to talk myself out of suicide. I was right all along and over 30 doctors were wrong. While I am not out of the woods yet and I am still in pretty bad pain, life is already better and it is going to continue to better and better. Don't ever give up.

• JC, thanks for your post. I have been lucky in that I have Neuro doctors that care that I am a person and not a payment walking through the door!

My C7/T1 is degenerating (adjacent disk degeneration), but so far only occasional pain from it. My surgeon told me it could be a month or years before it causes issues such that it would need surgical intervention. I am not going to bother with shots for it, as they haven't worked for me in the past! What muscle is that you had problems with - layman's terms I mean. :-)

I was like you with my prior surgeries in so far as waking up and zingo - pain be gone! It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? I was in so much pain with my C5/6 that when I came out of the anesthesia I actually cried when I finally was pain free! The attending nurse was concerned at first because with me crying (even though I had a HUGE smile on my face), she thought I was in extreme pain!!! I was so happy, I now know what "happy tears" really are!

Good luck on your healing! Take it easy and get better. Take care!! :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.