Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Roxicodone For My Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello all. I have joined up here today because I as most of you have very severe back pain that seems to be getting worse by leaps and bounds every year now. Myself and my doctor suspect that this pain is a result of a bad motorcycle wreck back when I was a teenager and many years as a wrestler. I currently have a computer shop and have done much over the last few years to put as little strain as possible on my back.My doctor has recently changed my meds somewhat to get me away from as much acetaminophen as I was taking with me percocet. He now has me taking a script of 240 Roixcodone at 15mg 1 or 2 at 4 times a day. My normal daytime dose is 1 because 2 make me a bit unstable when standing. But 1 is not enough to deal with all the pain. My doctor also has prescribed Tramadol 50 mg to be taken 2 pills 4 times a day. Tkaing 2 Trmadol with my Roxi seems to be no better than taking just my Roxi. So I bought me some Moltren IB(target brand)to take instead of the Tramadol. The percacet I was taking was the 15/325. So I know the 15 mg of Roxi is minus the 352 acetaminophen. That I was thinking could be replaced with the Motlrem IB. But taking 400 mg of the Moltrin IB seemed to do more than the Tramadol by far, but it still seemed to come up short about 50% of the time. So I have increased the Moltrin IB to 600 mg taken with my Roxi and this does seem to help a lot. My concern is, should I be taking this much of the Moltrin IB? Should I look for some other alternative to the Moltrin IB. Should I ask my dr if there is something in between the 15mg Roxi and the 30 mg roxi. I don't mind taking something over the counter with the Roxi but there are bad side effects taking to much acetaminophen just as there is in taking to much Nsaid meds.I have considered taking the 2 Roxie and mybe a caffine pill, 2 Roxies will make me want to lay down as well as making me a bit unstable on my feet.
I guess I need some dirction from you all on what I should consider. I go to my dr every 5 to 6 weeks for the Roxi refill and would like to have a more informed idea before I talk to him next month.

• First off, welcome to spine health. As far as whether this is too much motrin would be a call for your doc. You also have to be careful with how much ibuprofen you consume. I don't know what the max dosage is per day. I'm sure there are a lot of factors such as what other meds you take, weight, tolerance to meds. I've heard that drinking or eating caffeine can help some of the pain meds work faster. I don't know how true it is and I don't recommend as I really only heard it. I tend to drink coffee or a diet coke with my meds in hopes it will help them kick in a little quicker.

I'm having a hard time with my pain levels in between my dosage times but try really hard not to take my max doses or take them earlier than I'm supposed to. I've never heard of roxicodone before but I imagine it's similar to hydrocodone? I take mscontin 30mgs 2x's/day for my extended release meds and can take up to 3 hydrocodone 7.5/325 per day. My morning dose of meds makes me the most drowsy and I tend to sleep for about 1-2hrs after taking this dose. I have to make sure I don't schedule appts during that time and don't drive after taking my morning meds.

I'm not sure I've been much help, however I do recommend you take this question up with your doc. Only he/she can give you the best answer as they have your whole medical history.
  • Thanks for your input. The Roxicodone to my understanding is similar to oxycotin in a lot of way. I think the Oxycotin is more extented release and the Roxicodone is substanined release.
    I am just worried about taking more nsaid meds as a way to cut back on my acetaminophen intake.
  • No the roxicotin is not substained released, only the oxycottin is.

Roxidodone is immediate release. OxyContin is 12 hr sustained release. You can have up to 3200mg of ibuprofen a day, provided you have normal kidneys. You can have up to 4g of tylenol, (thats 4000mg or 8 extra strength) per day, as long as you have a normal liver. In any event that is what the maximums are, so if your health is not 100% ie increased liver enzymes or protein in urine etc, then talk to dr.
  • It might be smarter to contact your doc and explain what is going on. Roxicodone is not designed to be a drug that is used round the clock. A good extended release drug will help taper things and generally provides better relief. Tramadol is an Extended Release drug, and if it isn't working for you, then your doc needs to know.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• I think your doctor should go over all your meds and start over again. Are you seeing a family doctor or going to a pain clinic? Most doctors would have you on an extended release medication like Morphine, Kadian, Oxycontin, or Fentanyl patches, a short acting med like the Roxycodone you're already on. The ER meds will stay in your system for 8-12 hours depending on which is prescribed. The short acting meds are for breakthrough and they usually only last about 4 hours and then the pain is back.

Most of us are on a combination of medications to handle each aspect of our pain. NSAIDs are very helpful for pain and inflammation and will fit in fine with the ER and short acting painkillers. Do you have nerve pain? If yes, then you need a medication like Lyrica, Neurontin, or Cymbalta to be added to your other meds. If you have muscle spasms then muscle relaxers like Flexeril, Skelaxin, Zanaflex, or Baclofen would be beneficial. Others take sleep meds or antidepressants as well.

I don't know your condition but I hope that your doctor will go over your meds to manage your pain better. Take care
  • Thanks for the info on the max doses of ibuprofen and tylenol. I do understand that this is only for those with healthy kidney and livers and should always be checked by your doc first but it is good to know the standard max for those that are healthy. Thanks again.
  • Roxycodone comes in strengths of 5mg 15mg 30mg and so on.

Maybe instead of 1 or 2 of the 15mg four times a day you could add a 5mg Roxy to the mix. That may be just enough to give you some good pain relief.

Oh, and as C stated, add an extended release med for good measure.

Good luck with your pain control. Watch out for the ibuprofen/acetaminophen... not good on the liver/stomach/kidneys.... Roxy and MSContin are not filtered through vital organs and will therefore not cause damage with long-term use.

Welcome aboard!
This discussion has been closed.