Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How many have had a few good days and then the pain comes back

karenlkkarenl Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have been off my feet for about 2.5 weeks and have found that terrible pain in my back and legs has subsided to on and off low pain. I'm starting to think maybe I can go back to work. After working 7 months in pain I finally listened to the doctorto stop working and the pain has gotten better. Not compleely but tolerable with very little pain medication. Sleeping is still difficult , seems tohurt worse when lying down. Am I fooling my self or can a few weeks of rest really heal a back that fast.

I have 2 herniated discs in my cervical C5-6 C6-7
herniated t11-12
Bulging discs in my entire lumbar except for S1.
Stenosis in 3 sections of my back

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    This is what I what I have described to so many others.
    Chronic Pain, who I refer to as the "Beast" never really leaves us. It stays inside of us, just wanting
    to be released and cause more spinal problems.
    This beast is so clever, it knows the times to come out. And when it does come out, just see how it present itself t you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I guess I am fooling my self. It's just laying low, just waitng for the next attack. I just don't understand how one can suffer so long, go for shots, , Dr. to Dr, a visits to the emergency room when the pain is so bad you can't take it any longer, go from a cane to a walker and then boom I actually walked like normal person today not long but long enough to fool me .
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    we do it because its the best of our options! Its so easy to give in and let the beast take over, not only our bodies, but our minds. Once that happens, there is really little left to what we were in the past.
    Fighting back, never giving in, now thats the way to act. The Chronic Pain Beast is a very strong and dangerous animal. It sometimes just lurks around waiting to find those folks who have had it. The beast flies down to get its prey and then feast on it.
    That is something we should never allow to happen. Our first defense is going head to head. If that does not work,we seek the second level to protect ourseles,
    The big problem is that while at we rdp
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Karen :)

What type of work do you do? Just curious as that can also determine your "success".

I want to share this with you to help you - not to scare you.

I too when first injured had good times and boy did I make up for all my down times - worked hard and got tons of stuff done that has been let go.
    I also returned to work as soon as I was feeling OK.

Fast forward - I walk with a cane - I am happy on the days I can dress myself. Pain is my shadow.

Had I taken it easier and listened to my Drs. I may be singing a different song.

So please do not rush this healing and listen to your Dr.

Please let us know how you are doing :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.