Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi finally diagnosed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all x my name is Denise l am a 44 year old mother of 2 girls. I have suffered back and joint pain for a long time and due to having other conditions (graves disease) all my complaints were put down to my thyroid levels ( had a total thyroidectomy in 07) I never got better after the TT and it was only recently l started to be taking seriously. Long story seen a crap rheumy who on hearing l may have fibro myalgia wasnt interested nor did he believe in it. Finally see a new rheumy this year who organised dexa scan which showed early wear and tear to bith shoulders. Then xrays which showed by lower spine has straightned out which l still dont understand what this means and l ahve wear and tear to the rest of my spine and if they xrays my other joints they will more than likely see that l have it everywhere.I am also diagnosed with fibromyalgia. As yet l start physio next Friday this will be my first session. I was quiet angry that l felt noone believed me and l have suffered a great deal and every part of my life is affected by my conditions. I am trying to help myself but at moment its one step forward and quite alot back as you will all know :) I have been reading up on back problems fibro etc and started doing some relaxation too.I also plan to do some sort of exercise as l dont want to rot away any longer lve been left ion that state for too long now! I jsut want to add that l do suffer really badly from my back and was wondering if anyone else experiences the same. I can hardly use my arms at all. I will use them but l will suffer big time for it esp in my robs and sternum area, no problems were found there so l take it the pain is reffered from my spine. Would l be right in saying this? I am pleased that l know know what is wrong with me the limbo has been the worst 5 plus years of it and made to feel like lm a whinger grrr. I wills top here as l have so muchto say and just realised this is an introduction forum :) Nice to meet you all but sorry you also have to come here :( Take care all hope we can help each other xxx

• Hello - Welcome - Don't forget to hit the front of the site as well, there is good info on Fibro and the other issues you mentioned.

The most debilitating issue related to spine issues is that we begin a downward spiral - of inactivity and this in turn leads to a total lack of body strength. The thing is - it hurts to exercise and for us with chronic pain, it hurts without exercise. The point is this - we must do something - both aerobically and to strengthen our muscles - lite machine run weight training. This forced the body into defined exercise and keeps us from getting a chance to do it wrong. I use exercise bike and a real one too, and also suggest using pilates - or yoga, something that is gentle. With spines that have issues - it is all about starting incredibly slowly and then adding, just as slowly and see how we do.

Have fun - Cheers - C45
  • Hi thanks for the reply. Im sorry for my typos l posted quite a few posts today after findng this forum :) Have a good day and nice to meet you :) ps how do you get email notifications? I didnt know l had replies to my posts?
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so sorry it took so long to get a correct diagnosis. ~X( now you can started on the road to recovery as far as getting as healthy as you can under these conditions. this includes exercise like you have mentioned, eating well, and of course finding good friends. i do alot of walking with my dog whenever i can and i also swim. swimming is totally pain free and so relaxing. :D there is exercise you can do a little at a time..just be sure to check with your doctor or a good pt.. :-C good luck and drop by the forum anytime! Jenny :)
  • I am so sorry that you have suffered for so long and been undiagnosed. You will probably be surprised at how many of us have been through similar in order to finally get diagnosed. I was just talking to someone the other day about if you have one problem the docs like to use it as a catch all and blame everything on it. I am glad that you have been diagnosed and are hopefully on your way to pain relief. Please do keep us posted on your progress.
  • Thank you all for the lovely warm welcome x lm sure l will find a lot of good people here and help. Thanks again xxx Ps how do l get notification that someone has replied to my threads?
  • hi, :H unfortunately there is no notification. :? you just have to check back on your own. hopefully, you find your welcome of interest as well as other posts and go back and see what has been written. it is all up to you to keep track. there is a guide on the side of the forum where you can see the last threads you have posted if that helps any.. Jenny :)