Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TTLC is being a big baby... bear with me.

TTLCTTTLC Posts: 876
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
Chronic back pain with excrutiating tooth pain...

I'm so skeered! (That's my way of pronouncing "scared", when I'm truly scared).

I have an appointment this afternoon with my oral surgeon, as I'm pretty sure I have an abcessed molar (lower left jaw, the tooth right next to where the wisdom tooth is).

I have been putting this off, due to experiencing back pain while laying in a dental chair. But, because I have not slept for 3 days due to the tooth pain... it's time to go.

I was planning on having this tooth extracted last December, but I fell and broke my back the month before. Go figure. What on earth was I thinking...

Any hoo...

When I called this morning, the doctor worked me right in. I explained the tooth pain, the swelling and also let him know about breaking my back and having hardware in place.

He is an excellent oral surgeon, has worked on me before, but I'm a big fat baby when it comes to extractions. The two other extractions he performed on me, were very difficult. One extraction resulted in a drain being put in place for a week (bad abcess) and the other extraction took almost 2 hours to get the tooth out. He has always given me the twilight sleep medication... the truth serum stuff, I can't think of the name right now? It works well for me, but again... I'm just a big scaredy cat about this.

I have taken one of my Xanax (1mg) to calm my nerves and will take one on the drive over.

Sorry for complaining about this tooth pain, but I am in excrutiating pain right now. I am on pretty high doses of pain medication and they are not touching this tooth pain. I've been squirting orajel inside the tooth and around it all weekend, in addition to swishing warm salt water around my mouth throughout the day and night.

He will be able to numb me, right? I guess that's my biggest concern, along with laying in that dental chair with my sensitive back.

Thanks for listening... I hope to return with some peace-of-mind.

Tammy :W

• I'm SO sorry to hear about the tooth pain. I'm probably the biggest baby in the world when it comes to the dentist. I freaking HATE them. I understand how nerve-wracking this is for you and I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. In my humble opinion, tooth aches are the worst pain in the world.

I'm surprised that the dentist will do an extraction when you have an infection. Every time that's happened to me, I was given antibiotics for 10 days then had to go back to have the work done.

Good luck at the doc, my friend. I hope they put you as out as out can be and that it goes quickly. And YES, he'll numb you. Maybe you need to also take an extra muscle relaxant to help your back during this.

Vent away - that's what we're here for. Please check back in when you can.
  • with the worst back pain that you can throw at me any day over a tooth ache! I do understand your fear but you have to stay focused on the long term goal (just like any surgery) and that is to be pain free. Good luck and please let us know how you make out when you are able.
  • oh tammy, i hope you are home, in your pj's with an ice pack on your sore mouth and ready to go to bed and sleep it off!!! I) i wish you a good night's sleep and no pain at all with that rotten tooth!! >:D< better to just have it out of there!!! get some rest!! (|: i am sure you need it!! spiney hugsssss, >:D< >:D< L,Jenny :)
  • Oh wow, I hope you get that taken care of right away! Amazing how something like that can be an Achille's Heal for someone who suffers chronic pain. It happens though.

Just let the doc know how you feel and what your worries are and he can take care of everything for you. Yes he will be able to numb you up so that you are comfortable, even with all your other pain meds.

Hope to hear good news soon.

• Toothaches are hideous aren't they! Come to Utah and see my dentist - he's awesome! He does a root canal from start to finish in 45 minutes and not a stitch of pain! I used to be terrified of the dentist, and laying in the chair making your back ache, but when they are good and they are quick, it's not so bad. Hope your's goes very well for you and you are pleasantly surprised by the experience!!
  • I thought to myself (as the toothache pain woke me at 3 am) - "Where are the pliers - I will get this tooth out myself"

Honestly, toothache pain is up there with kidney stones!

good luck
  • I thank each and every one of you...

Each one of your messages, have touched my heart and have made me feel a lot better going into this. I appreciate the time you have taken to wish me luck and give me some great food for thought.

Okay... here is my report from the exam today:

I had a panoramic Xray done which revealed my molar is indeed abcessed (erupted). My wisdom tooth right next to it, is completely impacted with an additional infection.

We now know the cause of my excrutiating pain... lol.

Action Plan:

After my oral surgeon spoke with my neurosurgeon, I need to start taking high doses of antibiotics throughout the next 24 hours.

My oral surgery is scheduled for 8:15am, tomorrow morning. 1 hour before surgery, I need to take 4 antibiotics at once with a sip of water to get the pills down. (No food or drink 6 hours before the surgery).

My oral surgeon will be removing my abcessed molar and then has to drill into my bone to get my impacted wisdom tooth out. I will be under general anesthesia during the surgery. (The normal post surgery literature was given to me... liquid diet for 48 hours, gauze pads for bleeding, etc.).

After the surgery, I will need to keep taking the antibiotics for 28 days.

I am relieved to know I will get this horrible tooth pain OUT tomorrow. I really thought about pliers over the weekend... lol. Only thing is, I couldn't dig through my skin and bone to get my impacted wisdom tooth out.

Yes, I'm a bundle of nerves... but, I can double my dose of Xanax and Percocet until tomorrow. My PM doctor was additionally notified, as I had my monthly appointment scheduled for 2:00pm tomorrow.

I would love to get some sleep tonight... but, if I don't... that's okay. I know I will sleep tomorrow.

Any other input or advice you guys might have, is always appreciated.

As soon as I can coherently type tomorrow... I will give you an update on how my surgery went.

Thanks again, for being so supportive and understanding. It really, really helps. :)

Tammy #:S
  • Load up on popsicles or something soothing --

Best of luck to you tomorrow--

• not to use a straw to drink and try not to suck on anything. A dry socket hurts even worse than a toothache. I am sure that you will be just fine. Keep us posted when you are able.
  • Oh my poor girl..So sorry that this is happening to you. I will be thinking of you tomm am. I hope that you go through this and have no problems. I have dental work to be done like 2 years ago. I know how you feel..Take care and I will say a prayer..Love Robin
  • in the uk the dentist wont do extractions under general anesthetic anymore in surgery .{they will do a light sedation } i have nice teeth but i have had to have one tooth out about 4 years ago.but i had to go to the hospital where i had it done under a general anesthetic ..i could not stand having a tooth pulled out whilst i was awake .i wish you good luck with your oral problem and a speedy recovery..i know being in pain all the time is bad enough but when something else come along like a tooth of some other pain ..just just don't need it !!do you
    tony x
  • Glad to see that your doc came up with a great coordinated plan for you. Post when you can, we'll be waiting to hear from you.

• I find it "funny" that most of us deal with back and other pains each minute of our day that would have other people jumping off of cliffs. Go through surgeries that can be compared to being cut in 1/2 and other horrific examples.

Yet say the word Dentist and we all are a mess 8} lol

Hope all goes smoothly and you are feeling better soon :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • so it did not happen today but you are all set for tomorrow and that is a relief... #:S i know all will go well and finally you will get that bad tooth out of there Tammy!! =D> try and get a good night's sleep and be rested for tomorrow.. will be thinking of you all day!! all the best to the best girl ever!! don't forget to take all your antibiotics!!! spiney hugssssss, L, Jenny
  • O:) O:) O:) O:) Sending you some guardian angels to watch over you today -- No matter how nervous you are just think about how wonderful it will feel to be out of pain when it's over -- Let your honey take care of you afterwards and you'll probably sleep all day, which is a good thing.

Follow all the "after care" instructions and please let us know how you're doing when you can.

Sending you some >:D< >:D< >:D< - We'll all be thinking of you!

• Tammy, I hope all went well!!! Sorry couldn't read what you were actually getting done, it just sends shivers through my soul, lol... I like what Ms HD wrote, how we can deal with our chronic pain but not teeth!!! Hope you are doing okay.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Well, you're hopefully in a blissful sleep right now dreaming of running and playing with your kids.

I hope all went well today and I'm thinking of you.

• just sending peaceful and dreamy thoughts your way this morning tammy.... sleep away.... I) Jenny :)
  • I'm sorry that you have this going on. This really sucks. I had an abcessed molar a few years ago and the right side of my face swelled up and it was too painful to eat and even talk. I went to the dentist and after they took the x-rays I had to be referred to the oralmaxillo-whatever surgeon LOL to have it pulled out ASAP because I risked getting septicemia. In others words, I sympathize with you and get that tooth out quick please. I'm sure the extraction will go okay. Take you Xanax and try to relax and it will be over before you know it. The antibiotic is what really takes care of the pain and swelling, and they will probably give you Norco for pain. Take care and let us know how you are when possible. >:D<
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    tooth pain. You know I really believe it all has to do with Chronic vs Acute pain. I think all of us who have dealt with Chronic pain know how to deal with it. Sure we have our ups/downs, but for the most part we just accept it as part of our daily routine.
    Now, Acute pain....ARGHHH. I know I cant stand it.
    When I had the root canal, every day before the work was done, I was like a little kid. Putting orabase on the tooth every 30 minutes to try to deaden the pain.
    Chronic pain... ok we can deal with it.

Acute pain... please make it go away - NOW!

I hope that all went fine and that you are feeling better than before this started.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I actually had a rhizotomy done this morning at 9:15 am but I was thinking of you and your dental work. I will take having nerves burned any day over having teeth extracted. Especially impacted teeth! I hope that all went well and you are resting comfortably.
  • Hi Tammy :)

Hope your resting and feeling no pain tonight.....
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi everyone,

My two extractions are done and over with!

The surgery went very well... I was completely numb! Woo hoo!

I was prepped and knocked out by 8:15am and the surgery was over at 9:30am. The numbing started wearing off around noon and yes indeed... I knew I had surgery done at that point... lol. I took my regular pain medications throughout the day and night, in addition to the antibiotics. (Actually, I need to give credit to Mike for waking me up to take them, as I was out of it yesterday).

The swelling this morning is minimal and it feels so good to have that horrible tooth pain gone. I can handle this kind of soreness in my mouth, as I know it's the healing kind. I have a little bit of oozing (which is normal), but honestly not that much.

I go back on Friday for my re-recheck appointment with my oral surgeon.

I will write back later on, but just wanted to let you all know I am home and recovering just fine.

I thank you again for keeping me in your thoughts, surrounding me with the sweet angels, the hugs and the wishful sleep. Your requests were heard, loud and clear!

Thank you also, for the advice and reassurance. I was petrified and you ALL helped calm my nerves.

Bye for now... my kind and caring spiney family. xoxo

Tammy >:D<
  • so glad you are home and resting now... :D the worse is over with and you have a brand new mouth so to speak!!! LOL!! i am glad you had minimal pain and only a little soreness today.. remember to take all your meds!!! my thoughts will be with you throughout the day.. get your rest now Tammy!! :D L, Jenny :)
  • I am a fraidy cat when it comes to dentists too. Trying to get in those chairs, stay still, and then get out is almost impossible for me. I need to go but am chickening out.

Take it easy. Ice, meds, sleep, and liquid or really soft foods. I had to have my bottom wisdom teeth removed a while back; I ate so many mashed potatoes, pudding, jello, and pancakes that I didn't want any for a long time
  • Happy to hear things went well :)
  • So glad it went well, hate all that stuff. My teeth would be gone if I had not been badgered, (gently nudged by my wife) to go and get them fixed.

I hope it heals up quick and clean! (call me demented but I always preferred the surgical removal as they usually get stitched up so the socket heals up quicker)

No straws, my fav food after tooth removal was/is Tomato soup with bread and butter dipped in it! :)
  • Congrats, Tammy. I'm glad you're on the other side - that's much easier to deal with. The fear of going to the dentist alone is enough for me to curl up into a ball and suck my thumb. LOL

Anyway, let's talk about food: Noodles are great, as is soup like Wrambler said. Another little unhealthy treat I like when I can't chew are Puff Cheetos. They'll just melt in your mouth without having to chew them.

Mashed potatoes
    Mac 'n Cheese
    Ice Cream (hooray for ice cream)
    Milk shakes

You might want to drink an Ensure at least once throughout the day to get your essential nutrients and vitamins in.

Now, on to the healing! Take care Tammy and I hope you heal quickly.

PS: I had this vision in my mind of the doctor's foot on your chest with pliers in his hand pulling like the dickens and straining to get the teeth out. LOL Sorry.
  • It is always so much better when it is all behind you. I think that sometimes the anticipation can be much worse than the actual procedure.
  • Great news! Always so much better when you're on the other end of pain!

Take good care,

This discussion has been closed.