Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muffin recipe that helps get the bowels moving :)

NEBakerNNEBaker Posts: 53
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just sent this recipe to noseovertail and I realized that so many of us have problems post-op with our bowels so I decided to post it here in case anyone else was interested.

Several years ago, I had cancer and the medications really confused my bowels so I developed this recipe using whole grains and bananas and it did the trick. The recipe contains flax meal, which is so much easier on the tummy than laxatives. Before surgery in September, I made a batch of these and put them in the freezer to get me through my post-op. They freeze very well.

Banana Flax Meal Muffins

½ pound unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
2 cups organic cane sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour
6 tablespoons ground flax meal
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups mashed bananas
¾ cup sour cream
2 teaspoons double strength Mexican vanilla

Preheat a conventional oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, flax meal, salt and baking soda. Set the flour mixture aside.

In a small bowl, mash the bananas (I use my hands). Add the sour cream and Mexican vanilla. Stir until well combined. Set the banana mixture aside.

In the bowl of a stand up mixer, cream the butter and the sugar. You can use a hand-held mixer: I’m just lazy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl often. Continue beating on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture a ½ cup at a time, scraping the bowl as needed. Raise speed of mixer to a medium speed and mix for an additional 30 seconds.

Once the flour is well incorporated with the butter mixture, fold in the banana mixture, making sure the banana mixture is evenly distributed.

Butter or use pan-out spray to oil the cups of your muffin pans – or use cup liners. Spoon batter into muffin cups a little below the top as they will not rise much. I use standard size muffin pans and this recipe yielded 5 dozen muffins. Yes, that is a lot of muffins, but they freeze very well.

Bake for roughly 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean.

• Kristin,

My bowels are just fine, but your recipe sounds too great to ignore it. Thanks for the post!

• We have a whole thread going on in the medication section devoted to constipation from the pain meds. I will definitely try this and thank you for sharing.
    BTW - Not sure what mexican vanilla is? Will vanilla extract be the same?
  • JJ - you can use any pure vanilla. If you an artificial vanilla, you may wish to use one and a half times the amount as some of the flavor will "bake out" or disappear in the baking process. I'm a chef and it's habit to list the exact type of vanilla I use :)

Let me know if you make the recipe. I hope you like it!
  • Thanks Kristin - I could do with a bit more help because of the medication and calcium. The muffins sound yummy.

How you're going with your recovery?

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008