Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

im infected

treadyttready Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi folks well if you have read my need advice post you will no iv had a hell of a time the last 3 days what started of as a little scab coming of my back wound as turned into full blown infection after spending last night in AnE (ER)leaking fluid and feeling ill i spent most of today in the hospital i had the L4L5 fusion done seeing the surgon and others getting a propa report done blood tests swobs taken from wound so they can grow the infection and give me the right tablets, so i got to go back wensday now for tablets but if i get a fever iv got to go straight to hospital, this is a nightmear worse than the op itself

• I'm so sorry you're going through that. At least you caught it early! I'm sure if you take everything they tell you to that everything will be alright. It will just be an annoyance. :) I will be thinking of you.
  • I was worried when you said you were leaking fluid that it would get infected. I'm glad you went to have it looked at.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Oh My! I too was worried it was a infection - but did not want to say anything and worry you needlessly if I was wrong - I wish I had been wrong :(

Please stick around the boards and vent away - know many of us are here for you :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hello- I suspected you had an infection and was surprised when you said the nurse said you were clear. My infection took exactly the same form - 11 days post surgery I started leaking just like a tap! They gave me augmentin and swabbed but never checked the swabs to see what they should have given me. Fortunately my consultant did check and gave me new antibiotics 9 days later! I am still leaking now (two weeks later). I can empathise - this infection has been the worst thing - it was really sore and I had to take my strong painkillers just to be able to sleep. I couldn't lie on it as it was so sore. My consultant has said not to do too much activity to avoid stirring it up any more - I am definitley not allowed to walk any distance. I hope they get you the right drugs and you feel better soon.
  • Tready, I hope you're doing okay.
  • I am sorry you got infected. I hope you heal quickly. I hope my previous response doesnt minimize surgigal site fluid leaks and everyone will get such side effects checked ASAP to avoid infections. I will keep you as you in my prayers.
    God Bless and Keep you,
  • thanks for replys folks hospital tommorrow to find out what infection i got its still leaking thats 4 days solid leaking how long can a leak last ?
  • Please be sure to update us & know we are all cheering for you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Yes please do update if you can. I'm sure it would help someone reading this who is infected but unsure of what to do. I hope you feel better soon!
  • I had a gut feeling when you described this that it was infection. Good thing you went to the doc and did not listen to the nurse. I am so sorry as I have heard that the infection can be much worse than surgery. I am glad that you caught it early and I hope that they can get it cleared up fast for you. Please keep us posted.
  • Hey all, Tready I sure sympathize. I have been in 2 times now with yellow gunk and liquid and blood tinged 'stuff'. The area is SO sore (mostly at the bottom of my incision) So far everyone thinks it's just fine but at least they took a swab sample last time I was there a few days ago. I have been on Keflex which I had requested, even though my surgeon said I don't need it. Just had a feeling... but it would appear it didn't make a difference. So how much are you leaking? Is it like getting past your bandage? When my bandage is changed you can see gunk and blood the entire length of my incision with the most at the bottom where there is ALOT.

Oh and they are talking about cutting back one of my meds. It hasn't even been that long since my surgery and I am having pains in my hips that go into my groin that are so bad. Has anyone felt that? I also now have numbness down the outside of my left leg. GOD don't you wish sometimes you didn't have it done? :) I just pray after all this is over I will celebrate having had it done!

Love you all, I don't post often but I feel I know some of you from reading so many of your posts trying to find answers. You guys keep me sane!
  • :H

I'm going on six months dealing with a foot infection at an old surgery incision site. To date I've been on two bottles of Keflex, docxycline, batrim and now minocin. My swabs came back with yeast and psuedomonas bacteria. Yes, forgot to say I was on pills for yeast.

I'm sharing this story with you because it is VERY IMPORTANT that the docs put you on the right antibiotic - so it's great that they are doing a culture to see which drug to use.

My foot initially leaked a clear fluid, then it turned yellowish, then cottage cheese like and now back to clear. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to heal -- apparently from all my research on surgery sites, this happens sometimes. And yes, I think my brains are leaking out my foot, it's been like a little foutain down there (LOL!).

I, of course, am very sorry that you had to deal with this in addition to trying to recover from surgery. Just take a deep breath and know that at least it's being treated now and will start to heal.

Thinking of you and sending you healing and comforting thoughts and a HUG! >:D<

• Well I leaked a lot. It was getting through a dressing in about an hour. If The dressing was padded with gauze etc it lasted more like half a day. Even now (it has been two weeks and one day since infection) I still leak through a padded dressing in under a day.
    I have ended up using sanitary towels in the top of my knickers to stop the ooze getting onto my clothes. Although, most of the time, I just don't bother putting real clothes on and just wear my pjs.
    So in answer to how long can a leak last I have been leaking for over two weeks now.
    I saw the surgeon yesterday and he has said I need to keep the dressing on until Friday!! I have already had to put one extra one on top and really doubt I can make it till then but hey ho!
    I hope your leak stops faster than mine!
  • thanks for replys well im of to hospital in 1 hour to see what they say ill let you guys no and to fannymae yes i wish i never had itdone i feel like they have done me in, i to get pains in hips and groin that i didnt get befor plus im getting pain in my left arm which i never had befor the wound is painfull and sore and last night i woke up a few time covered in cold sweet god knows what iv got but im hateing every second of this worst thing for me is iv got a 15 month old son who i carnt play with and fuss at the momment which is doing my head in he wonts me to pick im up but i carnt see you guys latter tready
  • Good luck tready. I've been following your thread and hope you have some good news on return from the hospital.
  • Hi this is treadys gf just an update,
    today he went in for his swab results and as been admitted and is being opened up again tomorrow and needs the wound completly cleaned out so have no idea how long he'l b in there im just hoping it aint for long, will keep you all posted
  • Oh poor Tready, I had same type of infection after a laminectomy in Aug 2006. Due to being on Levaquin, they were unable to tell what the infection was. Had to reopen the incision to clean it out, then was hospitalized for 7 days getting IV Vancuumicin (sp?) Very painful antibiotic. I truly hope his addl surgery is helpful. I am praying for him.
  • Thanks trasee, is that how long they usually keep you in for?
  • Thanks trasee, is that how long they usually keep you in for?
  • I'm really not sure. Hopefully with the hospital being able to idnetify your infection, they will be able to give you specific medication that will be faster acting than mine was. My infection was pretty severe and unidentifiable. So I had to have a lot of IV antibiotics. And a course of Cipro for 10 after release from hosp. I really wish you the best. Once you're past this nightmare, you will hopefully find the surgery was a good choice. It was for me, but only after my own little part of hell.
  • I feel so bad for Tready. To his GF please tell him we are all thinking of him and sending love and prayers. That is my biggest fear of having to be readmitted and cleaned out, that is what my surgeon said he would do if I became infected. No word yet on the culture they took. Hopefully by the time I see the surgeon Friday the result will be in.

Delta you cracked me up with that brain comment :) but Nel I was utterly shocked at the amount of your leakage and the Dr. says that is NORMAL? And to not change your bandages for a few days well what the... wheeeee!!! What a roller coaster ride this is not to mention a circus at times! I would change them whenever I thought they needed and then change them again. lol
    Love you guys!
  • I'm so sorry to hear the infection is so bad, but I'm so glad he's in the hospital so he can be cared for as best as possible. Please let him know we're all praying for him (and you!).

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.