Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OK Need Some Opinions

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All. Everyone who knows me here, knows that I have had a rough 2 years. But I am now wondering a couple things and frankly getting depressed so I thought I would throw it out to you people and see what you think.
The last two years I have had a hysterectomey, shoulder decompression, frozen shoulder surgery, carpal tunnel, knee scope, sacral tumor removal, 2 level PLIF, hardware removal, and recently removal of tumor in eye socket. I think thats aall of them,

I had my hardware taken out Sept 4,2009 after nine months. It was taken out the same way it was put in. It was taken out because of pain. Well, backing up a bit, I had 2 discograms, and the second one showed 3 levels with tears. Two that were worst than level L-3. So they fused the two levels and said it should take away my pain. Hardware is now out, and I am still in pain of 7 if I dont taken pain meds. I am on 100 MC Fentanyl patch every 2 days, and 30 mg oxycodone every 4 hours. I could take them most of the time at 3- 31/2 hours when I am riding in car or walking and active.

My question is, with the pain level at where it is, should I have another discogram to see if the last level is the one that is giving me pain now? I have a higher pain mid-lower back that is sore and also painful. It goes into my hip and when overdoing stuff down my leg. Do you think that I should still give it time? Do you think it is time to investigate other disc for problems. I have done everything according to Dr and feel that I have too much pain yet. It is getting depressing when it is apporaching winter again. I cant work, am in to much pain to stand or sit for long. Cant walk distance as it flares it up big time. I just dont want to say, this is as good as it gets, if I can make it better. I am not one to lay around. And frankly, I am sick of surgery, but I have gone through so much and feel that things should be better than this...Whats your thoughts?

• Have you given consideration to the fact that your body may be so incredibly deconditioned from all the surgery, that your pain perception and overall feeling of well being is challenged by that? It is really hard on anyone physically to undergo even half the surgery you have endured the last 2 years.

Do you have a primary doc who is responsible for your general health and well being or has that been swept aside by Pain Management?

I met with a nutritionist when I was on the surgery meri-go-round and it really helped to get on a surgical wound healing dietary and supplement plan. That helped my body have what it needed to heal, which helped me to feel better in general, which helped my emotional state, which helped the way I perceived pain and allowed me to move forward.

I hope you can find some sort of answers and at a minimum some peace of mind.

• i tend to agree with "C" on some points.. :? it takes alot of time for our bodies to heal after surgery, not just physically but emotionally and also spiritually. it eats into all areas of our lives when our bodies are cut into to such degrees. getting back to good health, giving your body some real healing time and allowing yourself time to recognize surgery and healing pain from other pain... these perhaps should be some of the areas to look at before you head off to another surgery or even another procedure. :D good luck to you. look into a good nutritionist as suggested above and get into some exercise if possible... do some meditation to quiet your mind and spirit.. this is good food for the soul.. :D Jenny :)
  • That's a lot of surgery with what sounds to be little time to heal. All of the above sounds like great advise.
  • Sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. Do you meet with a good pain management docotor besides your primary doc? (I don't know what Fentanol is. but ...I noticed that they don't have you on any muscle relaxers like Baclofen and I started Cymbalta for nerve pain and it's been awesome. He's with the down days too cuz it's an anti-depressant so it does double duty for the nerves and attitude. I wouldn't want anymore discograms, can't they figure it out by MRI or other tests that don't hurt so much? Good luck, I would have a meeting with my neurosurgeon if I were you. Prayers for you. K
  • Hiya, You have been through so much >:D< My heart goes out to you. An hysterectomy in itself takes alot of time to heal :? , a surgery of that kind puts your body into trauma, and you have had other surgeries too. Your body could still be healing, everyone is different. Only you can decide :H .

Angie P.s ....Wishing you all the luck and love x >:D< O:) >:D<
  • >:D< >:D< >:D<
    You've had the "WOWFECTA" of surgeries the last two years. You need a month or two of "Calgoun take me away!" -- (or more like a year!)

Like everyone else has said -- it does take a long time for your body to normalize after surgery and with the amount of surgeries you've had in such a short time, it's no wonder your pain levels are still high.. Not so say, there may not be something going on with a disc but if you trust your surgeon who did your hardware removal and you've had recent MRI's or x-rays to check on your spine, I'd say give it a little more time to settle down.

I truly do want for you to be in less pain and if I had the "wherewithall" to heal you, I would. Only you really know your body, so if you feel like you should push for another test, do so.

Sending you some healing and comforting thoughts and a big but gentle HUG<

Take good care,

• I am thankful for all the help I have recieved here. I dont want to go through another surgery thats for sure. My Ortho is leaving at the first of the year, and is unknown right now where he will be. Might be closer, but he is unhappy with the clinic he is at, so is looking. Anyway, I can feel a difference on my lower back from the fusion, in a positive way. I just still have so much pain in my upper-lower back that goes into my hip, that I would like to know before he leaves, if it is still the other disc or if it is needing to heal.
    I think that I can better use therapy if I know what the pain is caused from. I hope you know what I mean. I have been walking and things and it seems to aggrevate it more.
    I am not looking for more surgery, I just think that if I know what is going on, I will know how better to deal with it, long term. If the tear is worse, it will only keep hurting. If it is nerve damage, it should, maybe get better. What do you think?
  • Do you take all the pain meds for your back pain or do you have pain elsewhere, too? Where did you have the fusion and removal -- I'm guessing L4-5 and L5-s1...and L3 has some problems but not bad enough to be included in the original fusion...would that be correct?

I would be cautious about rushing into a discogram unless you absolutely cannot find out the information any other way. I think it is likely it might be part of the pain generator, but I can't help but think the other areas are causing some pain, too.

It is possible that your system that perceives pain has become so bombarded from all your recent problems and surgeries that it will be very difficult to get it straightened out and quieted down. I read a very interesting article yesterday that I was going to post on the board, and then I decided maybe it wouldn't be of interest to that many people....but it addresses what I just suggested to you. Of course I didn't mark it and was doing research on the internet the entire day, so I can't go immediately to it...but, hopefully I can find it. Even if it doesn't apply directly to your situation, I think you will find it very interesting.

I'll be back in awhile. ;)
  • I just wanted to send you lots of hugs and let you know I will pray for you to find the answers you need.
    >:D< >:-D< :hug:
  • Robin, you have been through so much in 2 years. I agree that your body is trying to heal but it might take longer. Could you get a second opinion somewhere to see what they would recommend? It stinks when we find a dr that we like and they are leaving. I'm praying that he will be closer to you when he makes his move.

Talk to your dr and see what he says. If you're still not sure, I would get a second opinion as soon as possible.

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Hi Robin,

I know what you mean about wanting to know what is going on. I am the same way. If I know what I am dealing with, it is easier to make decisions and know the direction to take. Sometimes it is the not knowing that is the hardest. That being said, we all know how severe the pain can be from a discogram. Only you can make the decision of having it or not.

Like everyone has said, you have been through so much, your brain is no doubt overloaded from all the pain it is dealing with. Have you discussed this with your Ortho? What does he think?

I wish you could get a break from all the pain you have had to deal with. I hope it gets better for you. I'm sending you positive thoughts and prayers. >:D< >:D<

• Dear Robin,

Hey there... how are you feeling?

Wanted to check in with you to see how your eye and face is feeling, along with everything else.

Hope your pain is being kept to a comfortable level while you are healing.

Take good care and hope to hear from you soon.