Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Previous L4/5 surgeries..now likely L3 surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi gang- I posted a couple times 2-3 months ago . Had 2 L4/L5 disc surgeries 3 and 4 years ago. No issues until about 3 months ago- started having leg/knee pain (I have also had 2 knee surgeries in past 6-8 years ago). Ortho doc though all along likely disc issue versus knee. Have chased this all over- MRI's,EMG's injections, PT , drugs. No relief except via drugs so ortho doc sent me to a different neurosurgeon and he said he sees L3 compression and wants to do L3 nerve block for diagnostic purposes then likely proceed to surgery. Having lived with leg pain for about 3 months now anything definitive sounds good. Anyone out there with any experience like this ? Thanks! JW

• What type of surgeries did you have? It is not unusual to develop problems in the adjoining segments.

The day after I had fusion surgery for L4-5, I developed problems that suggested the L3 nerve root. I've been trying to track down the problem for two years and am going for yet another nerve block later this morning!

Nerve compression can be difficult to spot on MRIs, but I would have thought the EMG would have suggested something.
  • Gwennie- thanks for the reply. Had hemi-laminectomies and partial disc removal previously. All of my EMG's -now and in the past have been relatively normal. You are correct- these are hard to tie down. Hope your nerve block helps. James W.