Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Check engine light

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Water Cooler
Don''t you wish we came equipped with our own little check engine lights? Something to pop up and say,

"Warning, you are about to do something that is too much, please stop and recuperate before proceeding"!

I had a couple of pretty decent days, so dumb me just kept pushing the envelope. I am now, exhausted, in pain and still not done with the "project".

I guess at some point in time I may figure out when to stop. I have narrowed down a few things that are just plain "don't do". but, the things I can do once or twice, but not three times keep tripping me up.

Really could use a "check engine light". or, maybe, a radar detector would be a better term?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    I only wish someone would invent that.
    It would have saved me and I know dozen of others for dealing with a flare up - BECAUSE we OVER DID Something!
    While the inventor of this device is working on it (we dont know who the inventor is yet), also please add a traffic light for our bodies.
    Ok, we are doing fine
    Hold on a second, take it easy
    Since Yellow doesnt show up, this is what I
    said: Hold on a second, take it easy

Too Late, We overdid it, now we get to suffer

Just simple devices, the check engine light and a traffic light added to our body and we would all be much happier
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • instead of a check engine light, we could have a low on gas light. My BMW would tell me how many miles I could still drive with what was left in my tank. Susan.
  • I just need the right cable...
    My Jeep tells me how many miles till empty, service needed, etc;...

Going to go to ebay and run a search, someone on there will be selling a cable to allow me to connect.

=)) :))( =)) :))(

On the flip side there is a weather front moving through RIGHT NOW and it is brutally the worst one I have felt for months. geez, I thought I was doing better, silly me, going and getting all hopeful, etc, etc;
  • Could I please go on the list to order and have installed one of these great gadgets.Not much of an inventor myself but have become inventive at many daily tasks which make life a little more "normal".
    Love your idea, hope it happens- Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • :D Yes, check engine light -- low fuel light -- OR, how about that thing that the mechanic plugs your engine into to detect system problems -- wouldn't that be GREAT! Everyone morning you just use Wramblers "cable" to plug yourself in to the "systems" machine and it would tell you how much "tiger" you had in your tank -- Today our back is good but your shoulder and knees will give out without some rest......Yeah, that's the ticket!

We can only dream -- that's about the only thing that doesn't cause us pain!

• already have the electronics in our respective butts. How difficult of a task could it be? Maybe this device could come with a siren in addition to a warning light for those of us who don't respond to simple warnings like "its getting super hard to walk up the stairs maybe I should think about knocking off" or "Boy, my paraspinal muscles are tight, maybe I should ask (fill in the blank) to help me move that ash tree" etc. etc .
  • I have the "check engine" light, it is always on. In my car I call the check engine light the idiot light because it doesn't tell you what the problem is. And my idiot light is telling me the same thing. Something's wrong and nobody knows what it is.
  • jay911 said:
    I have the "check engine" light, it is always on. In my car I call the check engine light the idiot light because it doesn't tell you what the problem is. And my idiot light is telling me the same thing. Something's wrong and nobody knows what it is.
    I went and BOUGHT a scanner for my vehicles, with 5 of them I got tired of running around getting the lights checked. I was an auto tech for 10 years, before a stay-at-home dad, so I can usually fix or get one of my sons to fix the stupid things myself. Kind of how I got in my current predicament. I had a guy tell me replacing rocker panels is "easy" on a 97 Cherokee Sport. Well, maybe if you're not all busted up and hurtin! We can't swing another repair bill right now and if I had let if go another winter it would have been rotted so bad we would have junked it. I have one side done, half way with side two. I am worn completely out, every inch of me hurts. I even have sciatic pain in my right leg, which I NEVER get.

Someday, maybe I'll get learned better than to attempt this stuff...

Back on topic, when we do the programming I'd like to add a headband with an led strip, so it could send out messages, like "Yes I hurt" "Yes I am worn out" "No it is not any better, thanks for not asking" :?
  • I love the idea of having an indicator system to let us know that we are abut to over do it. It would have to adapt to how our bodies feel for each day.

I think it would be great to have a prediction system that would let us know how we will feel for the day and what to expect for the next 5 days or such. Kind of like a weather forecast but much more accurate.

Let me know if you find the stuff on ebay. I want one too.
  • I need an alarm bell that yells "Forward bending! Forward bending!Forward bending! BEFORE my foot goes numb and pain shoots down my leg. I'd need a real sensitive one that would go off at the slightest bend! Maybe you're onto something Wrambler! I hope you're starting to feel better.

Faith M
  • That's a great idea Wrambler.
    Now if I could just figure out how to adjust my idle
    speed so I could purr along smoothly all night long.

Oh Judy...dreaming CAN cause you pain!! Yesterday when I returned from the Doctors I lay down on my sofa for a nap. I started dreaming that something had my feet in a vice grip!! I moaned and kicked so hard I kicked the phome off the stand and scramed for help so loud that I scared the dog. She ran under the bed. I stuggled so hard to get away from whatever had my feet I rolled off the sofa onto the floor!! But thats just how bad the pain in my feet and legs gets and it HURT when I hit the floor!!
    So you see...dreaming can hurt. LOL
    Patsy W :H
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    You've all got some really good ideas. My problem is that I ignore lights also. I had an old Datsun one time that always had the check engine light on.(Kind of like me come to think of it) We learned where the reset button was so we could cut it off! Never did know what the problem was. lol.
    Wrambler, you sound like you're in the middle of a project that's as bad as the one I've gotten myself into. It's terrible when you know you have to finish what you've started but don't know if you can stand working on it even one more time isn't it? I'm there so buddy I feel for you! If crying would help I'd lay down and bawl like a baby. Oh well...

• I was so worn out I did not touch the project last night. This morning I feel WORSE....arg.
    For some reason, maybe it is true for many people? Day two always hits me harder than day one! So, to feel truly "better" I need to maybe take tonight off to. That just isn't in the cards, winter is approaching fast and I got problems with our new Townhouse that need figuring out before it does a permanent freeze thing here.

I thought about crying to. I may do that yet...
  • I feel your pain. Last time out at the track I dumped the Vette into a tire wall. It was a slow hit so it is all cosmetic. Problem is I need it as a street car for about 6 months since the doc said I will not be playing Speed Racer for a while. So 3 days before surgery I pull the front bumper, both quarters, fender liners, headlights. Epoxy the heck out of everything I can salvage. Unbend some stuff. Put it all back together. Yank the racing seats and harnesses out and put all the stock stuff back. Pull all the race pads and swap over to street wheels/tires. I was so sore. My wife is, of course, reminding how stupid that was. Well dear, I'm going in for surgery in a day. So what if I abuse this disc one more time, it's coming out ;-)"...

Unfortunately the Check Engine thing is you being in pain. The diagnostic scanner is usually the MRI or CAT scan showing what you screwed up now. And the basic controller for all this is supposed to be Common Sense. We could all use a good refresh of that... LOL

and life goes on....
    I know what you mean about needing to finish your projects before winter. I'm trying to race the thermometer too. That makes it even harder doesn't it? I'm having a terrible time with it. They say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger....right? I have been trying to not push myself as far as I normally do. The long, sleepless, pain-filled nights aren't worth it. If I get to shedding those tears I'll think of you and shed a few for you too okay? I hope that it all works out for you. Try to pace yourself. How are things with the townhouse?

• I finished the rocker panels on the Jeep On Saturday, helped my son put it back together yesterday and it is back on the road! I added new front shocks and the rear u-joint to the list on Saturday and got those done to!
    To add insult to injury I spent a couple of hours cleaning up the workshop.
    It all hurts, but, it feels good to know that project is DONE!

I got one more to do before it freezes up. Hope I make it...
    I'm glad you were able to finish your project. I hope you're not hurting to bad because of it. It does feel good to accomplish something. Especially when you really didn't know if you could handle it. Hope you can rest your muscles a while before starting the next job.

Take care of yourself
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    I agree with what Debbie said, I dont follow lights, but then again, I dont pay attention o the speedometer either.
    What I need when I start going over the lmit. Some thing comes out and whacks me on he head and says "Stupid, watch it, you are going down the wrong road"

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hey wrambler, thats a good idea, but i need something more then a idiot light. i would require a circuit breaker that would shut me down as i push myself waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past my overlimit point. i know better, but i will usually take a pain pill and continue on with the work i am doing. thank God for my lovely wife, she knows if i am out in the garage for over a half hour, she needs to come out there and kick my asp back in the house. God Bless All, kc
  • Something like a stick shaker when a stall is imminent.
  • My shrink was throwing out words of wisdom about how to remember to manage yourself on good days somewhat the same as bad days in the hope that one would not overdo and have more bad days,

What he did not cover was how the #*!! that has anything to do with weather changes. My check engine light has been on since Wednesday, I think it is in danger of burning out!

I never dreamed that I would end up 48 years old, driving home at 11:00 pm crying...not once, but twice.(Same night, same trip)
    Exactly how I got in this much pain has me mystified as I have not been doing anything unusual. I sure do not want any form of pain meds. I got home took a flexeril and an Ambien and went to bed, I won't mention that last cry I had while waiting to fall asleep. Oops, I guess I did mention it...

It does cause me a bit of stress, I can get the arm pain covered, but not this, We have tried to get SCS coverage there, but nothing doing. Adding valium helps, but my shrink is not allowing me enough to cover a bad day, all day.

Today is no better and I have foolishly agreed to stay tonight and cover an event. No work involved, just more time spent away from my recliner :(
  • Wrambler,

My surgeon gave me Perocset for pain and Valium for muscle spasms. Well I had big time problems with the meds. The good news is that Valium does control muscle spasms. For me it does make me sleep a lot. So you might not even need the Ambien. Surgeon has moved me over to Skelaxin 800mg for muscle pain/spasms. No sleepy feeling and it helps. Probably not as well as Valium.

Since the surgery. I look at the Vette and have absolutely no desire to crawl under it and touch things. My wife got hit in the other car and the quarter panel needs replacing. I ain't touching it. My SIL will come over and do it. I just write the check for the parts. That is about the limit of my car work for now... Surgeon won't even let me drive a stick...