Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

23 years old and worried

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I’m new to this site but have read through it and it’s helped me get a better understanding of many things. I hope that I’ll be able to find some answers from people who have similar stories like mine here. I’m 23 years old and just found out that I have DDD. I’ve been extremely active my whole life. I raced motocross for years, ride downhill mountain bikes, play all sports, and just love to be active and enjoy life. I have had low back pain for quite awhile now and just thought it was from my activities and was completely normal. I am a personal trainer and have been for about 2 years. One day (just last week) while working out I lifted something for a client and had a killer pain in my lower back. After that my mom talked me into going to get an MRI. That’s when I found out I had DDD and 2 herniated disks and one bulging disk. My doc who took the MRI is actually a neighbor and a close family friend and he told me I was quite young to have these back problems. I’m confused with how serious this actually is and have a lot of questions. I go back to see him and to get a shot in my back in two days. But I thought I would post something here to see what kind of feedback I would receive?

What kind of treatment has helped people? How serious should I take this, do I stop doing the activities that I love so much? Will it just get worse and worse? Am I going to have to take pain med for the rest of my life?

Let me know if anyone has anything that might help me get some comfort or closure. I’ll take all the info and help I can get!

• Hello, Thought I'd give you some feedback on your condition. First, Do you have any pain that travels down into your legs? If not, chances are the disk isn't pressing on major nerves. Herniated disks can heal (reabsorb)themselves with proper back education, therapy and conservative care. If you do decide to continue heavy lifting and/or other aggressive entertainment or sports, you will probably end up with further back issues, possibly more severe. Best of luck.