Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When do you know you are getting better?

jsirabellajjsirabella Posts: 311
I posted it in my first post but I would like to know based upon experience of people who have healed without surgery.

I notice that now I actually feel better if I do not do as much prone type exercises and give my lower back a break. I wonder if that is a good or bad sign and should I slow down on the mini-cobras and get to just 2 prone exercises a day.

I can now walk much more and do some strength training but how do you know that you are getting better? Just cause the symptoms are going away, are you better?

I remember gweenie17 posted how her husband beat it without surgery but did he start to cut back on certain things he did in the beginning and added new things...

I guess you can only know once you look at a new MRI.

Can anyone tell me their experience when they knew they were getting closer to the end?

• Its great that you are better; I'd keep up with a few prone's even if you are better and incorporate excercises as part of our lives..GOod luck..really happy for you..
  • I can definitely say I feel better and now I would definitely describe it as a discomfort and no longer a pain but to say I am out of the woods is way too early and I am not sure when you can really say you are healed. I am down to 2 diclofenic daily and will cut down to 1 but I do feel that the doctor is right that it will take a few more months before I can really get closer to the way I was. Even today doing 50lb leg presses was giving me some strain. So no pushing and just wait and see...as I do not want to get the hopes to high yet.

Some things are still tough like sitting and driving too long but I believe this is because I drive to work after the gym. I notice that once I do my exercises the pain will start in my back, not bad and than when the pain comes down I can sit more. But the thing I am afraid of is making the pain in the back go away cause the one time I did that that is when the legs went nuts. I worry the legs will come back if I slow down the exercises...kind of a strange dilemma.

I can tell you I will never stop doing some of these exercises as this leaves a mark on you for life that you will never forget. The days of feeding the ego with the heavy weights and the cycling are pretty much a part of my past I feel. Like my IBS it will take years for me to think the same way. I will go to the gym but it will not be like the past.

I really hope you have seen a turn around from the last esi and getting back into your swimming and PT. I have a feeling I will be around for a bit longer but I do see a light at this moment...I guess though all the pain has made me a bit skeptical.

• Thanks JS. I am better than I was a few days ago. Every 1cm move was killing me. But the meds and rest helped. I have started to walk a bit now. Overall everything is good but when I try to attempt the cobras, any backward bending movement causes instant pain down the thigh which never happened before- I used to do a 100 a day I think.
  • Take it slow and take what it will give you for now...even if that is just moving your arms or legs in bed and the fact that you are not bed ridden is a great sign.

Hope you are keeping up with the NS or the doc...make sure you have enough meds to get through this rough patch.