Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Percocet 10/325

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've had 2 spinal fusions. I'm on percocet 10/325.
Q1: Should I be concerned about addiction?
Q2: Should I be concerned about the amound of tylenol in my system and the liver damage it can cause?

• can be very damaging to your liver. How many pills do you take a day? How long have you been taking them? I do not think that you should be concerned about addiction. People that take pain meds for chronic pain do not become addicted as addicts would for the "high" that they get from the meds. Chronic pain patients may become dependent on the meds to control their pain but not addicted.
  • I just got off those things. Made me so sick it was horrible.

As for not getting addicted. There is physical and psychological addiction. Chronic Pain patients take them for legal reasons. But they are physically addicted. Think not. Go ahead and cut off their supply. Or go read some threads in here where they get shorted 1 pill and wig out like the world is coming to an end. That is an addict.

One has a legal RX for the drug and the other doesn't. To say one takes it for legitimate reasons is arguable. Watch all the drug addict celebrities and others in the news. They may have started with good intentions. Didn't end that way. I'd bet any money there are ones on here exactly in that boat.

Get off meds as soon as your doc says and let your body do its job.

Preaching Off....
  • is available without tylenol. It's called Oxycodone. As for the naysayers, if you need the pain meds, take them. I have a legal prescription for oxycodone. I fill it every couple of months. I don't count the pills and I don't wig out if I think I'm short one. I take them when I need them for pain. Considering I get 50 about every two months, I don't think I'm abusing them. I can't take NSAIDs because I had a gastric bypass two years ago. Tylenol won't touch the pain when it is bad and as stated, it can be hell on your liver.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I agree, there are people who start out with good intentions that get hooked, but I also feel the majority are using their medication correctly. You just need to be honest with yourself and each time you take a tablet ask whether you're taking it for pain, psychological stress, escape etc. I encourage my patients who take these meds to indeed count them every so often (I do), and then average them out per day. It helps keep you on track with what you're actually taking, and you're not surprized when you run out early and THEN try and remember why, when and where. As for the tylenol, I would stick to the lowest dose that works or switch to the oxycodone. It used to be that you could take up to 4g/day, but newer studies are suggesting that this level is even too much.

Remember that chronic pain is a whole different animal. At times we can tolerate much more than the average person without blinking an eye, but some days it's all too much day-in and day-out. Although you don't want the "high", you just want the pain to go away because you just don't feel like you can stand another minute of it. Those are the days to closely check your medication and your reason for taking it. It's so tricky b/c chronic pain patient's med habits can mimick that of an addict. It's the same desperation....not for the high, but just for relief of the pain. The medication is prescribed for the pain, but your body becomes adjusted to it and it will require more to calm those pain messages. Our brain and pain sensors can actually become re-wired so that you may actually have a lower pain tolerance b/c your body doesn't know how to handle the pain (that's normally blockedby meds).

Work with your doctor to find a balance that is good for you. If you find that you're taking increased amt's of PRN narcotics (for actual pain), then you may need to discuss time release medication or other conservative therapies. I've had 1 fusion and 1 redo and I'm weaning off of Opana and taking Vicodin. I don't have an addictive personality, but I'm conscious of everything I take---you have to stay responsible. Good Luck!!
  • When you say taking the pain meds really for pain, psychological stress, or escape -- do your pain meds really do anything for you than help with the pain? I've had someone ask me if I ever take them just for the thrill. What thrill? I don't get high on pain meds. I get relief from pain when I need it, but I don't find them comforting or intoxicating in any way, shape, or form. Does anyone who is really in pain get a kick out of pain meds? I wonder. I'd gladly do without them if my back didn't throw fits every now and then. I've always thought the addiction talk was a bunch of hooey. I think people who don't really need the meds, but take them because they think they get a high are the ones to watch. If you really have pain, pain meds aren't going to make you happy.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • NAC is a supplement you can take to help remove tylenol from your liver. :D i take it every day and is an important part of my regiment. if you are worried about your intake, please try this. it is used in hospitals for an Overdose of tylenol. vitamin c enhances its absorbstion ability studies show. so i take one of those with it as well. google NAC and you will find lots of info about it.. good luck! =D> be sure and talk to your doc as well. :-C Jenny :)
  • My parents got so concerned when I was sent home from the hospital with a script for Oxycodone. Out of all the meds I'm on, Oxycodone is the only one that even barely touches on my pain level. I'm afraid that my doctor won't be willing to prescribe me anything stronger since I am young and have tattoos, I'm also a very small female and you wouldn't think I'd have such a high natural tolerance.. but I do. I agree with 'alcb', chronic pain is a whole different animal. I'm sure the amount of pain I tolerate on a daily basis would make even my husband break down.