Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any firefighters have fusion and back to work?

firemankenffiremanken Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain

I had a L4-L5 fusion with hardware four weeks ago. I am still having a lot of lower back pain with numbness and tingling in both legs. I also have right leg pain and right leg foot drop. My doctor sent me to therapy 3 days a week two weeks after surgery. Some of the movements I can do but no usually pain free. I've had a setback this weekend with increased pain, more problems with the foot drop and swelling near the incision. I feel like I'm a webble and I have to concentrate on every step I take. I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I'd like to have him schedule an EMG.

That was a little background but my real question is any firefighers who have had a fusion. I have been on the job for 20 years and before surgery I asked the doc about going back to work he said "we'll see". What is your work status? Did you have to retire or are you back to work?

• Ken,

The answer is maybe. See how therapy goes and how the spine heals. You need at least 6-12 months for the spine to fuse up and support weight beyond you own. If you're used to jump into burning buildings and carrying people out with you. You maybe asking too much. That level when fused will create some level of limitation on flexion. You have to pass the PT test and you know what the tough parts are. A friend had a 2 level ADR and he can't do what he loves to do anymore. A single level fusion. May not be a show stopper.

I would suggest that you make a backup plan for what you can do if you can't return to what you did before. With your experience you have a lot to share to new guys to help make them smart and save their lives. So think about what else you could do if you can't pass the physical. Also check with the insurance company. They have some say over whether you can return to certain jobs after certain surgeries.

Good luck and thank you for you years of service. Some of us do appreciate it!!!

This discussion has been closed.