Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Floaters in my eyes since surgery

Jan MartinJJan Martin Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone experienced "floaters" in their eyes after surgery? I read up on the issue, happens to most of us as we age and isn't usually supposed to be anything to get worked up about. If I had them before my surgery, I didn't noticed them. They are annoying me!

• I've had floaters in my eyes since I was about 40. No trauma or surgery caused them for me. I was told that unless they interfere with vision or cause pain, they don't do anything with them. :-) I had another eye doctor tell me they come from cholesterol? On a clear day, or a light colored blank wall, I can "follow" some of them around!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Although most floaters are part of the aging process, they can also be an indicator of a retinal tear. I had them a few years ago and my optician said it was best to get them checked out. Fortunately in my case it was a minor problem and they eventually cleared up on their own.
  • funny thing is they came about immediately after stopping a trial of Cymbalta. opt said everything is ok, so I guess maybe it is totally unrelatec.
    I also had lasik about 5 years ago, could be residue broken loose from that. I've gotten used to them as mine are usually just tiny thread like lines that move fairly regularly so they do not stay in one place and annoy me for long.

Are you sure they are floaters? I had a real bad case of dry eyes after my accident. I could not "feel" the scratchiness due to all the pain meds. My vision got blurry because of "goo" building up. I went to my optician then and was told to use a gel at bedtime and drops throughout the day. Really made a difference for that!
  • I guess I should make an appointment with the opt. just to make sure. I have been wondering if there was some kind of trauma during surgery (hung upside down, twisted, pulled, bent) or even some relationship to the L3-L5 dural tear that occured during surgery. (BTW, I spent 48 hourson my back flat after surgery due to that little issue.) I'm not an alarmist obviously since it's been almost 4 months since surgery. It's just one eye too. I will check with my eye care professional.