Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain Help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello I am a 32 year old male and a vet, I suffer from lower back pain and nerve damage in my left leg. I have had 3 operations on my lower back over the past 6 years. The issue I am having is I am on Morphine Sulfate SR 30mg 3 times a day and Morphine Sulfate IR 30mg 3 times a day, this medication is not helping me with the pain anymore and I would like to ask my Dr. to change my medication to something that will work, but I do not know how to go about this. My fear is that with all the issues I have seen in the news and stories I have read is that he may think I am just wanting to get high from the medication. My reason for my thoughts are when I changed Doctors a few years back everyone in the office treated me as if I was some kind of drug attic so I changed doctors again this time to a really good doctor that was when I was using Private insurance now I am using the VA. I was on Methadone 10mg 3 at a time 2 times a day and Oxycodone 30mg 3 to 4 times a day and this medication worked for me much better then the morphine I am on now. I guess my question to you all is how do I talk to my doctor about trying this medication or something that will work better for me. thank you for any and all help.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I think you just need to be honest with the doctor and tell him what you've told us. It's usually best to tell the doc that what you are currently taking is not working for you and letting the doc decide what your new medication will be. However, if you have had relief from certain medications, I don't think that mentioning it will automatically label you as a drug seeker.

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience with your situation, so this is just my humble opinion. However, there will be other members that will offer their help because they've "been there, done that."

Take care and again, welcome to SH.
  • I would think that a doc would have no issues making a change from morephine to methadone. I am also on methadone and it does help my pain a great deal. I think that if you have been on the meds for awhile and have had no problem as far as "losing scripts" or taking more than prescribed it should not raise any red flags at all to tell your doc that you got better pain relief from the methadone than the morephine. It is not even like you are asking for anything stronger. It is also a known fact that we tend to build a tolerance to the meds the longer that we take them. Be honest with your doc and it will be OK. You will find that once you establish a long term relationship with your doc there will be a mutual trust also built between the two of you. Good luck and keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.