Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op L5-S1 Fusion and TLIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 2 weeks post op from a TLIF and a L5-S1 Fusion. After the surgery was complete, the Neurosurgeon came in and talked to me about the surgery. He said they found a huge bone spur that was causing my sciatica in my leg. Immediately after the anesthesia wore off, I could feel my feet and toes and legs. Wow, what a difference. They did my TLIF and took the spur out and also put a graft in where my disc was along with a cage.

I am currently in a body corset for the next 3 months. I had xrays the next day, everything was in place and for the most part I feel ok. I do have alot of pain in my back, but that is going away slowly. I cannot bend, lift or twist for 3 months as well.

Im glad I did the surgery, the Dr said I will return to pretty much everything I did before I injured my back. I know I have to really take it easy for a while. The only complaint I have is sleeping...it seems i wake up every 3 hours or so and have to readjust myself to get comfortable. Thanks to everyone who posts their stories on here, I learned so much and had tons of questions for the Dr, but as of right now, I would say that my surgery was a success...if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask!

• Thanks for posting with your experience so far. We love to hear when things go well. Sounds like you know what lies in store, and that you will be following the instructions as well as you can.

Some doctors insist of a brace after fusion; others do not. The surgeon that did my fusion did not believe in them, but my current surgeon insists on them...so I may be finding out how it is with either option in the near future!

I'm very happy that they seem to have found the pain generator for your sciatic pain. Sometimes people are not so fortunate.

Keep up the good work. Your main job, for now, is to walk and rest, walk and rest. Limit the amount of time you spend sitting and break it up with frequent little walks, if only out to the kitchen and back!

• I'm 6 weeks post op from 360 fusion.I know you are glad to get rid of the sciatica, to me that was the worse pain I have ever had. I am like you, it's right side, on your back or left side then rotate ever few hours. It is always good to hear from those who are better after their surgery. Keep us posted. Praying for your speedy recovery. God Bless!

• So glad to hear things went well and you're recovering well. Yes, you'll be uncomfortable for quite a while. I didn't have any sort of brace -- that can be a blessing and a curse, sort of half dozen of one, six of the other. I have rods in my back so supposedly didn't need the brace, but I know there are a few very painful moments that might have been prevented had I been wearing one. All the best to you. I hope the recovery goes smoothly.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.