Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heal Pain after 2 level fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a 2 level fusion 7 days ago (L4-S1). I now have this severe stabbing like pain in my left heal. Is this normal or has anyone else had this pain before? Any advice would be great. Already called the doctor just waiting for a call back.

• You have done the right thing by calling your doctor, as he/she is the one most qualify to answer your question. We can tell you only what we think, based on our experiences and on what we read on these threads. Keeping that in mind that it is only a guess, I think that when you have a two level fusion, a lot of the nerves get moved to be around, not to mention post-operative swelling, so we can experience some weird new and different symptoms, depending on the spinal are that was effected. Your surgery was only a week ago, you need to do a lot of healing yet, so naturally your body will experience some new pains and problems, this is not unexpected. But if you feel something that is too problematic, or uncomfortable, it is best to call the surgeon's office, they should be aware what is going on in your body.

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery,

• I am 2 weeks out from a 360 anterior/posterior 2 level fusion. I can tell you my experience... I am doing extremely well, but I do have different pains that come and go. Every day is different, and I think it is all part of the recovery process. There is a lot of swelling and trauma going on inside us while we heal and I think it is normal to have pain during recovery.

Like Kin said, you did the right thing by calling your doc. The doctor is the only one that can tell you what is going on and what to be concerned over.

Good luck to you in your recovery. Please keep us posted on your progress.

• Good info here from Kin and Deanna. The levels you had worked on do control the nerves that go down your leg and into your heel. It is likely that some swelling or disturbance in the nerves is causing your pain. Your doc would be the best to tell you how to handle this and let you know if he needs to see you.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I know what your are feeling! When I woke up from my fusion - it was the heel pain my first night post-op that was uncontrollable and kept waking me up. Its from trauma/stretch/injury to the S1 nerve root. To this day, I still get stabbing heel pain occasionally.
    Definitely let your surgeon know - there may be a piece of hardware or screw pressing on that nerve root. It may get better over time, but it may need to be addressed sooner! Good luck!