Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I do it? (microdiscectomy in 2 days).. no pain now!.. just weakness.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a microdiscectomy schedule in 2 days (Nov 13)

Starting on labor day (around 8 weeks) I've had severe pain (at first) and weakness etc.. L4/L5 herniation.

Extreme weakness in left leg.. cramping fatigure.. severe limp etc.

BUT.. the last few weeks I am feeling so GOOD.. nearly pain free! But still cannot stand up on my left foot.. only about 1" for 1 second off my heal. And still fatigued by end of day.. and some muscle loss on left side.

But geeze.. reading some stories.. I hate to subject myself to surgery if I "feel" so good. Although AS IS the weakness is limiting what I can do.

After 9 weeks.. quite a long time of PT and other treatments.. could this weakness still go away? Ive kept track carefully for 5 weeks now.. and very tiny improvement.. but some anyway!... maybe from no standing up left leg tip toes to heal up around 1" for 1 second.

• Only you can make that decision. Have you had previous problems with your back and this is a reoccurence? If it is, there's a possibility of it happening again. You also could reschedule your surgery if you are not ready to go that route. Sometimes herniations do heal on their own.

Best to you,

• I know.. but 2 months now.. tough choices. Still can't walk more than maybe 1000 feet. I'd kick myself if I ended up with some permanent impairment. Yeah.. it did happen 2 years ago.. similar symptoms.. but they went away within 4 weeks with PT.
  • The longer your spinal nerves are compressed, the longer they take to heal and, yes, there is a possibility of permanent nerve damage. Keep us posted as to what you decide.

• As always.. as my workday progresses.. I feel horrible fatigue and my left leg drags.. so I do through the daily routine of being so rested in the morning... and question surgery.. to dragging my feet by 3pm and anxious to have it done. Oh well. Thanks.. just good to talk about it to someone.. I'll post back when/if it's done.. I'm guessing I'll regret it longer if I DON'T have this done.

I should mention, however, that pain IS still an issue (sciatic and back) during sleep.. so I am only pain free from oh... 8am to maybe 3pm.. then muscle fatigue sets in.. not as bad as nerve/sciatic pain, but pain nonetheless.
  • thought about talking to your doc about this? He will know what if any permanent damage that you may be risking and should be of more help to you in making this decision. Good luck and please do keep us posted.
  • that we do forget pain. As my doc says, we'd never walk if we remembered precisely what the pain was when we first fell down. Give the brain a few minutes or a few hours, and it will think it wasn't so bad. :wink:" alt=":wink:" height="20" /> Sounds to me as though you've realized this isn't going away any time soon. You do get a few hours relief a day, but if you're not sleeping well and you can't walk well by the end of the day, I'd say it's probably time.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Why do spinal surgeons do surgery? for pain? NO. They do it to stop progressive neurologic loss. If you have weakness, it isn't going to go away magically. If you don't fix it, your spinal cord is getting crushed somewhere and if you wait long enough, the symptoms might get worse and then you will fix it and it wont go away (but will stop getting worse). You should have the surgery in my humble opinion. And no, I'm not going to list all my meds and surgerys
  • Well said! Really makes sense. Im going in in 12 hours from now.. 6:30am surgery and it should take 90 minutes.. and should be home early to late afternoon. Thanks for the tips.. great site here. I'll post how thing went.. Always good to hear other's stories of what I am about to have done.. so i'll add my own... probably in another thread. Hopefully mine can one of the good ones that helped me not be so afraid of tomorrow :)
  • Good luck Pete. I know there're no guarantees, but the chances are good that you'll at least be improved and the progression halted. Take care.
  • for you Pete! Hang in there and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Surgery done! I'll make a new post so others can find it in the future

• I hope the srugery went well PeteFung, I my selfe suffering left legpain and was doctores office on wendsday and sugessted that i do microdiscectomy, I dont know what to do
  • Could someone please led me to Pete's new thread? I really would like to read up on him and can not seem to find it :(
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Pete's thread up to the top so you could find it. Hope it stays on this page for a while.